How good is the Technics 1200 Mk2 with all the KAb upgrades?

Guys while cleaning out my back room I found a new tech 1200 mk.2 that I bought years ago when kids were young- I forgot I even had it!!- It has pretty much all the KAB upgrades- How good a table is this compared to todays table- In other words how much would I need to spend to equal this table
If I keep it what upgrades would you recommend- thanks
fluffers

Showing 1 response by andrei_nz

I've heard them sound great. There are other upgrades that also take it to a higher level including bearing upgrade, platter upgrade(Mike New from Australia does what are some of the best, external power supply and Isanoe feet.
Cheers,
Spencer
Alas Mike New was discredited when his platters were found to be warped -  not the earlier ones apparently.  To my knowledge no-one got a refund.  I bought his bearing on the strength of AOS recommendations but it was a total waste of money, and I upgraded to a bearing where the thrustpad was made from PEEK, a very hard species of teflon.  VPI now use this as well.
To OP.  The 1200 family are a pretty decent deck out of the box - just make sure you service the bearing. (PM me if you need help on this).  There are two fabulous features.  One is that it has a superlative Direct Drive motor, second is that it lends itself to all manner of tweaks.  These tweeks are meaningful and can be cheap.  They fall into three groups (1) further improving the speed, (2) anti vibration measures (3) tweaking or replacing the tonearm.  The 1200 can be a hobby that you can do one upgrade at a time and have a lot of fun in the process.  At the end you have a deck that can justify cartridges like the Ortofon Cadenza Black or better, (I have a Benz Wood).