How good is phono stage in Musical Fidelity A300?

I am getting my analog setup up and running and was wondering about the phono stage in the MF A300 intergrated amp.

I have read a few different opinions indirectly about it and was wondering if a separate entry level dedicated phono stage would be a step up (Monolithic PS 1, etc).

I have a modded KAB Technics SL-1200 TT with a Dynavector 10 X 5 MC cartridge that is breaking in.

Sound is very good to my ears as it breaks in, but with my limited experience I do not have a lot to compare to.

I also may have somewhat of a cartridge matching issue with the MF A 300 and the Dyna.
I am using the MM setting which allegedly has 37 db gain and 47k ohm impedance and the Dyna is a 2.5 mv high output MC cartridge with suggested impedance of > 1000 ohms.
Seems a bit shy on driving the system and I have to turn up the volume quite a bit more than I am used to for the same sound levels.
Most people have said this is typical in analog versus CD players output and don't worry about it and this does not impact the quality of the sound.

I guess my main question is how good is the MF A 300 phono stage?
lkdog

Showing 1 response by jkaway

I owned this amp back when I beleived reviews by sam Tellig in S'file.That should tell you something right there.The amp has a lot of nice features, great build quality,lotta power... and sounds dead , lifeless and about as involving as reading the phone book.I went to all tubes and never looked back.The phono section worked but 10% of zero is still zero.