How good is a Cary PH302?

Hello

I have a Cary 302 and would like some input on how good or bad it is. I am from Australia so I don't have much opportunity to compare phono stages.

I have the upgrade bug and have been eyeing on amps from Artemis, Tron, mod wright etc.... All of these amps are not much more expense than the Cary, but they all seem to have a great fanbase.

Am I going sideways with the above options or are they a Huge improvement?

I was thinking of upgrading mainly because I would prefer a bit more fain for my zyx .24mv cartridge. Another option I was thinking was to buy an external sut.

Thanks for any advice.
128x128petng

Showing 1 response by jazzcourier

I have owned both the Cary and the ModWright. Hands down the MW is a far superior unit,especially with the internal power supply upgrade which enables this amp to read very deeply into the vinyl source. On the other hand the Cary unit is very "flat" but not a bad amp,it does have a nice,rich sound. The customer support from Cary is just the worst i have never experienced. Never have i experienced such an unwilling bunch of people to support their own product. Even a personal handwritten letter to the president and owner of the company went completely unacknowledged. I am embarrassed for them. I would never own another Cary made product and i owned two at one time. ModWright is just the opposite,you will not be out in the rain with them,holding a broken umbrella like i was with Cary.