How good do SACD players play normal CDS

How good is the normal CD playback on a Sony SACD unit? I'm considering aroudn $3000 for a normal cd player such as a Wadia 830 or Classe CDP-1 or Meridian 508.24 Does the cd playback on a SACD come close to this level of regular cd players?
tbonephile

Showing 4 responses by phill_06896

and don't listen to those folks who claim that the ear bleeding Resolution Audio CD50 is better. Be especially distrustful of those who claim to have owned a Meridian 508.24, Wadia 860 and a CD50. These people either don't know what good sound is, or are so neurotic that they can't make a decision and stick with it. In either case, avoid taking any of their advice, because in a few weeks, they'll be on to the next "latest and greatest." Listen for yourself and decide.
To Carl, I use AvantGarde Duos, Apogee Divas, Dunlavy SC-IVs, Genesis Vs and Martin Logan reQuests. Do you have a problem with any of those speakers? Not everyone is enamored of that Resolution Audio junk. Get over it.
Carl, I'm not joking about the speakers. I have five systems currently set up in my home. The Duos are in the sunroom and are powered by custom Fi2A3 monoblocs with a VAC CLA1 MK II preamp. Current source is a Sony SCD777ES SACD player. The Genesis Vs are in the living room powered by a Cary 805B Signature and Cary SLP 98 preamp. Source is a VPI Aries/JMW tonearm combination. The Divas are set up in a dedicated room, powered by a Krell KSA200S. EVS attenuators supply volume control. Source is a Sony SCD777ES SACD player. Dunlavy SC-IVs are in the library, powered by a CJ Premier 11 and Premier 10 linestage. Source is a Pioneer DV-09 DVD player and Well Tempered Record Player with Audio Research PH1 or PH3 phono stage. The Martin Logan reQuests are in the family room, powered by a pair of Pass Aleph Model 2s. Preamp is a CAT SL1 Signature MK III. Sources are Parasound CD separates (2000 series), a Sony S7000 DVD player, and Well Tempered Classic turntable.
Since you're not serious about what equipment you have, why should anyone take your advice about the CD50?