How good are the B&W 801...Series 2 Speakers ????

I have been using Pro-ac 2's and 1sc's with a Velodyne ULD15 subwoofer...I would like to use some main speakers that have a little more back-bone....Can't pay much more that 2000.00 so I thought I would buy some B&W 801's. I had a pair of B&W 802's and didn't like them but I have heard good things about the 801's...I have all tube equipment, Audio Research LS-25 line stage and VT-100 power amp, also Audio Research PH-3 phono stage and Rega 25 turntable. I listen to Classical and Blues...What do you think ?????
autospec

Showing 1 response by lrsky

They have very notable colorations for those who notice such things.
The drivers, all sound very different than each other, dynamically, texturally, and I find that disconcerting.
Before doing some research, I thought the crossover was at fault--but after listening more I realize that the omnipresent "Kevlar Honk" as coined by John Atkinson (I think) who is of Stereophile fame, is right in addressing the B&W signature sound.
I now listen to the Sound Lab A-1, which, while not colorless, is less obvious in it's character. I patterned my own speaker, which I designed, after that single driver sound, and now find it hard to listen to 'off the rack' speakers.
Music is the most wonderful experience in the world, and as such it takes much preparation to get all the pieces right, so one can enjoy it adequately.
Best,
Larry