How Flat is Flat?

I have been trying to optimize speaker placement in my small, dedicated room for the past couple of weeks. I started out by calculating all the theoretical "best" positions following the advice on the Cardas Webstie, the Rule of Thirds (and fifths, and ninths) AND multiple iterations with the RPG Acoustics software. For each possible speaker/listener location, I measured Frequency Response using the Radio Shack meter and several test CD's, and conducted extended listening tests with a variety of music. Leaving questions of soundstagingf aside, I can't get very flat response regardless of where I place the speakers/seat. Response is flat (+/- 3 dB) above 100 HZ and from ~ 40-45 Hz, but plagued with problems in the 50-80 Hz range. The "dip" is in the range of 6 to 15 dB, with the worst frequency being ~ 60 Hz. I have used the SGHT Excel spreadhseet to calculate the room peaks/nodes, and there shouldn't be any nodes at this frequency at any of the seating positions I have tried. I am pretty certain it's not the speakers (SF Guarneri Homage), since they measure flat in an anechoic environment. The room is 14 ft long, by 12.75 ft wide by 7ft9inches long (dimensions chosen using the SGHT spreadsheet based on the fixed height of my basement ceiling). I have minimal sound treatment at this stage (RPG foam at the reflections points, RPG Diffusers behind the listening position, Corner Tunes at the top and bottom corners behind the speakers). My questions is...is it desirable to do better, or am I just being REALLY anal? If desirable, is it possible to do better? How (short of getting a Sigtech or similar)? Would also appreciate any comments on the best scheme for speaker positioning you've tried. Anyone have experienve with the RPG software? The Cardas-based set-ups sound good..but the bect sounding one is VERY awkward even in a dedicated room! AlexC
128x128alexc

Showing 2 responses by sol322

Real world rooms get into our audiophile ways of getting the best sound for us to enjoy. The closer you are to ideal ratios in room dimensions the better !!! Depending on cost (and if you are allowed depending on where you live) or how skilled you are you can modify one of the dimensions with sheetrock to get better ratios according to accoustics (using closer supports than normally recommended for added rigidity). This way you won´t need that much accoustic treatment and in the end if you need to add it, the task will be simpler, this is best if you own the dwelling. Regards
Carl What you said is a mind opener. I have a room where diagonally I´m missing two corners (transit to other areas no doors) and would really like to try your suggestion.I thought on this posibility but having found only standard placings referred didn´t look further into it. Could you be provide further details like speaker and listening position