How far have ss amps really come in the last twenty years?

I have owned and enjoyed my Jeff Rowland model 8 ( recently modded and upgraded by Jeff to the last version) for many years. I recently had the opportunity of comparing it ( after mods) to a few of the current ss models from Gamut, D'Agostino, YBA, Parasound, Sim audio, CH precision, Constellation,PS audio,Pass Labs  and Musical Fidelity. The results were very interesting, because to my ears and in the systems that we did the comparison, the Rowland held its own against all but the most expensive D'Ag and CH amps. Even those were only very slightly outclassing the Rowland in the areas of top end resolution...and a tad in the bottom end resolution. Now the thing is that the last revision to the Rowland 8 was designed by Jeff over ten years ago! 
So, my question for those more technically inclined than myself is...how far has the design of ss amps come in the last ten...or even twenty years? 
128x128daveyf
If you want to hear an amplifier sound "different" get a tube amp with an output impedance of several ohms! Ohm's Law rules here! A frequency response that will follow the varying impedance of the typical speaker.
There is far more to it than that!

Distortion plays a major role in the sound of any amplifier due to how the ear/brain system treats distortion, which is to say it treats it as a tonality. We've known this fact since the 1930s (see Radioton Designer's Handbook, 3rd edition).

Most solid state amps are designed to have minimal distortion and is why so many of them sound the same, which is to say, harsh and bright especially at higher volume levels. Now tube amps actually make more distortion, but because they have lower ordered harmonics in greater percentage quantities than solid state, the ear's masking principle allows the lower orders to mask the presence of the higher orders. This is why they sound smoother. The odd bit is that the presence of the 2nd or 3rd harmonic (both of which are treated the same by the human ear) causes a greater sense of detail and soundstage definition! This is why tubes are generally more detailed and have more depth.

Now if we could eliminate distortion entirely that would be great. But we can't, so it appears that an injection of a 2nd or 3rd harmonic is beneficial to solid state designs. This is recognized by several prominent solid state designers in high end (John Curl and Nelson Pass come to mind) and it should be no surprise that they have turned out some of the more highly lauded solid state amps as a result.

It is this bit of understanding about how the human ear works that is one thing that's changed in the last 20 years and it is perhaps the most significant- parts and topology notwithstanding. Its our ability to take advantage of how the ear works through engineering that yields the most progress. We're only just now starting to crack that nut.
I am sorry, but neither Pass nor Curl can compete at the top level. Perhaps they are doing something wrong.
That's right, I will win anytime because I am unbiased. Ralph's amps work very well with a very limited number of speakers, by the way, this includes Classic Audio and Sound Labs, of course. So that you know.
 @atmasphere  Distortion is an interesting term. Distortion compared to what? You mention that the human ear treats 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion favorably. Therefore, one needs to question whether these distortions are distortions at all. Since we, as humans are using our ear/brain to determine what is considered as a true  and pure signal, wouldn’t it make more sense to label a signal that doesn’t include these 2nd and 3rd harmonics as the signal that is actually distorted...?