How Electricity Actually Works

In November of last year I posted a Vertasium YT vid titled "The Big Misconception About Electricity".  Well it caused quite a stir and like an arachnid had many legs many of which attempted to draw A'gonrs into the poison fangs!

Well, here is the follow-up to that original vid which caused quite a stir in the "intellectual" community as well.

Vertasium "How Electricity Actually Works".

This does have implications for our audio cabling...

Regards,

barts 

128x128barts

Then there's hope,  since they way cables in audio works is self evident to most people.

Apparently: THAT cables in audio work, is evident to quite a number of people.

Numerous cable companies have been in operation for decades and doing quite well on the premise, including Used Cable/The Cable Company.

Some bank on the hope, to the degree: they offer your $$ back, if you disagree.

That’s not a new thing, either.   ie: On page 310, of the April 1993 Stereophile, Synergistic Research offered to send four different interconnect and two different speaker cable designs (their entire line, at the time*), to audition in the home, for 15 days, risk-free.

*Ted obviously understands: everything doesn’t always work with everything else.

What some call, "variables".

There was even an 800 number(free is good)!

Of course: the term, "works"  is totally subjective and what works for me, won't necessarily work for you.

I'm OK with that!  

I think the simple answer to "Does this have implications for audio cabling" is no. I didn’t see anything in the presentation that would make a whit of difference anymore than it would to television, refrigeration, lighting, power recliners, coffee machines or any other electric devices in your house.

For those that continue to believe electrons, electric charge, carry the energy from the power plant to our homes would be living in the dark if true.... The energy generated at the power plant would never leave the plant. It is impossible for electrons/electric charge to jump across the the gap from the primary winding to the secondary winding of the step up transformers at the power plant. But yet the electrical energy that is generated at the power plant is the same electrical energy that enters our homes. The electric charge never gets past the primary winding of the step up transformers at the plant. The electric charge pretty much just vibrates in place and moves as slow as cold maple syrup in the closed circuit loop.

It is impossible for those stunk in the belief that an audio signal flows back and forth in a conductor from a source to an amplifier or to a speaker to understand how an interconnect or speaker cable could possibly sound different from one another. But yet for many of us they do...

Would it be possible for the primaries here, in what I find to be a "very interesting" debate! To attempt a simple step or two back to take a breath, reset and recompose??

When half the primaries substitute wishful thinking for reality and make calls to magic based on ignoring 100+ years in the development of our knowledge, then the answer to your question would be no.

Some here need to accept that their knowledge in this area is akin to a car mechanic offering to do heart surgery. Posting links of things you barely grasp does not change that. Don't feel bad, many cable vendors appear to have even less knowledge. The models we have are exceptionally precise to very small scales and very high (and low frequencies). Learning new things does not negate present models no more than relativity negated Newton's laws for the vast majority of the human experience to exceptional precision .

It is impossible for those stunk in the belief that an audio signal flows back and forth in a conductor from a source to an amplifier or to a speaker to understand how an interconnect or speaker cable could possibly sound different from one another. But yet for many of us they do...

My knowledge is well beyond this, but that still leaves absolutely nothing put forth by cable vendors or any here, beyond the most basic of parameters, that there is any mechanism that is relevant.