How does Totem do it ???

Category: Speakers

Long story short...after several years of playing the field I've found my field of dreams...in the Forest! Totem Forest's that is. They love Krell amplification and a good CD player, but other than that and decent cables you got yourself a slice of heaven! How much heaven can be had for a system price of $6000...try comparing this system to what I've owned over the years:

Dunlavy SC-V's
Wilson watt/puppy 6's (twice)
B&W 801N
Totem Wind
Maggie 3.6
ML Prodigy

driven by:

Krell FPB 600 and 400CX with arc ls25 or refIImkII

Mark Levinson 334 and 336 with 380S, 32ref and 390S

BAT vkd5, vk5i

ARC VT200

Wadia 860SE

Jinky's...I can't remmember all the gear. What I do know however is just how right the Totem speakers are with Krell driving them. I'm only using a Sony DVP999ES player and all Totem wires!! It's addictive the way Boston Symphony Hall is...simply beautifull to hear!

Anyone else have a similiar epiphany? By the way, the Krell400cxi is mind boggling...all the typical audiophile attributes with clarity and musicality beyond reproach! A steal at $2500 list!
128x128dave_b
Happened to take a look at this thread. I am the purchaser of the Totem Winds from Goodwins Highend, mentioned earlier in the thread. I believe I listened to them at Goodwin's through Simaudio power amps and liked them.

I bought them after trying them in my home system. Electronics are Mac C-41 preamp and MC162 power amp. Source componets are primarily an Arcam 9 CD player and a Dual 505-2 turntable with a Sumiko BP cartridge. Interconnects are straightwire maestro and speaker cables are the original Nordost Flat-line double run for bi-wiring. With this set-up the Winds have a spacious soundstage with a wonderful mid and high ranges. Contrary to some other comments, there is more than adequate bass. In my room I have usable bass to 24 hz. In fact I find the bass slightly excessive and have for the first time in my memory actually used the tone controls to lower the bass.
besides the amazing speakers, forgotten in all of this is the amazing customer service. Totem provided an amazing experience recently.

I had a resonance issue that I had from almost the beginning on my Sttaf's (bought in 1999)...life and marriage got in the way so I never really cared and just ignored it the occasional time it came up. With a new house and a recently finished HT, I wanted to place the Sttaf's as the mains, but worried about the resonance. I bring it into service and expecting a few hundred dollar bill to fix it...instead Totem authorized a full replacement with a NEW pair. I was blown away by this gesture. For a company to back a speaker so many years after is unbelievable and deserves much kudos.

now that the issue is gone, I've discovered or rediscovered how awesome these speakers are. I could always WANT more but at this point, I'm just thrilled at rediscovering my speakers.
Gsdye....Thats the best story I have ever read on AG. So cool that you had that happen to you, and that you were able to have so much fun without spending gobbs of money. We all know this hobby can unreasonably empty our pockets. : )

Good luck with the speaks!
I fell in love with the sound of wilson audio. But I'm still a student so really can't afford them. My dealer advised me the Mani2's in comparison whit wilson sophia's. Would they make a good match with my ASR emitter?

greetz bart
Mani 2's would be great..100 w/ch is enough. If you need a deal let me know..my dealer is well stocked and willing to discount.