How does Totem do it ???

Category: Speakers

Long story short...after several years of playing the field I've found my field of dreams...in the Forest! Totem Forest's that is. They love Krell amplification and a good CD player, but other than that and decent cables you got yourself a slice of heaven! How much heaven can be had for a system price of $6000...try comparing this system to what I've owned over the years:

Dunlavy SC-V's
Wilson watt/puppy 6's (twice)
B&W 801N
Totem Wind
Maggie 3.6
ML Prodigy

driven by:

Krell FPB 600 and 400CX with arc ls25 or refIImkII

Mark Levinson 334 and 336 with 380S, 32ref and 390S

BAT vkd5, vk5i

ARC VT200

Wadia 860SE

Jinky's...I can't remmember all the gear. What I do know however is just how right the Totem speakers are with Krell driving them. I'm only using a Sony DVP999ES player and all Totem wires!! It's addictive the way Boston Symphony Hall is...simply beautifull to hear!

Anyone else have a similiar epiphany? By the way, the Krell400cxi is mind boggling...all the typical audiophile attributes with clarity and musicality beyond reproach! A steal at $2500 list!
128x128dave_b
No, Dave, I didn't. I had some other business with them and casually asked about it - and after a bit of conversation told them I would be by to listen to them soon.

But Saturday aft, I got a call on my cell phone from them stating that a customer had just heard them and wanted to audition them at home... and that they would refuse if I was planning to show up that day. Unfortunately I was out of town and couldn't. Found out yesteray that the customer decided to buy/keep them. :-(
Your thread has revived my interest in Totem. Must be around 15 years ago I bought my Sttafs, and could hardly believe my good fortune at the wonderful music. I still enjoy them immensely in my second system.

More recently, I've paired Reference 3a Dulcets with my Nait 5i and Naim CD 5x. I had Totem Model 1 Sigs in to compare. The Model 1s were absolutely lovely; but the Dulcets outperformed them all around, at least in this system and room. Even so, the Model 1s had their own seductive magic, especially on voice and acoustic guitar, which is a huge part of what I listen to...

But Rbstenho has me wondering if the Nait, as fine as it is, (and conservative in its 50W rating) lacks the power to get the most out of the Model 1s; I have certainly not heard them with a genuine, high quality 100 WPC plus, let alone 200. Is that the key?

I've been thinking for a long time that a system based around Mani-2s might be my ultimate. I was looking to the new Simaudio I-7 at 150 WPC as a possible, but perhaps it won't be quite up to driving the Manis...

Advice on this point from Mani-lovers would be much appreciated; what are some of the best amp partnerings; know of any integrateds that really do the trick? One reputable Toronto dealer swears by the Jeff Rowland Concentra, or now the Concerto, as a partner to the Manis, but I didn't get the chance to audition yet...

Can I share a little heresy; that is, talk about appearances? Leaving music aside for a moment, I find the wood veneer finish on the Totems a gorgeous, living thing. Unspoiled by little plug holes for grill covers. A little lemon oil on the old rose-mahogany Sttafs, and they glow from within...and the Cherry finish on the Model 1s I auditioned has its own beautiful amber warmth.
Totem speakers love power and current! I like the Krell 400XI myself, although Rowland is great stuff as well! My krell cost me $2000 new for 400w/ch into 4ohms on my winds...quite a bargain!! Price is going up Sept 1rst to $3K...or so I hear!!
Dave b
Maybe the Krell 400xi is worth a second listen for me, but with Totem this time. I listened to it with JMlab in the past. I found that combo rather dry and flat, even tho' the Krell was clearly highly competent, had tremendous bass grip and reserves of power. Perhaps it would shine with the more lively and forward Totem sound...