How does Throens TD160 stand up?

Know were not talking TD 124 II or Garrard 301 but notice that a number of companies made adapters for it's odd sized mounting plate.Wonder about sound ,how difficult it is to keep settings for springs.Is it worth replacing cheap power chord and IC's perhaps springs under plate.Woeks Ok speed sems accurate but not the newest kid on the block.Think with theis and maybe NOS 3009 (might even accept 12 arm) or other replacement open to suggestions here.Am in process of thinking about scrapping three decks this TD160,a stock Linn 1982 LP12 with a Grace arm,adn my jewel (that's just too big and does not have a anti skate VPI Aries 12.5 and gojung to build bedroom out of cheap Scout plinths whioch abound with a TNT5 platter and getting multi arm deck with 9" VPI to just quick swap and getting a mount for a multi arm like Teres,or other two or three arm decks with an SME 309 with swappable haed for good mono and MC stereo.The 9" arms can use $300 carts.But dump money into TD160?Don't think I'd get it back in sale.Ditto with Linn,Freind will buy VPI.But these old decks Iwoidner keep it for bedrrom and have better than a Scout?Linn too expensive an finicky but need best return strategy there.Anthother one my all over the place questions.But TD160- worth keeping for second?????
Thanks
Chazz
chazzbo

Showing 2 responses by restock

Still looking for that turntable for your dad?

Well, if I can find the damn 2mm Thorens screws, I could mount my Denon DL160 on the stock Thorens 166 that I picked up last week in excellent condition.

If I do, I can tell you more about this combo in comparison to a Scout/SDS/Benz Ace after this weekend...

Also, not to be too pedantic, but please use a spellchecker next time. Just makes your post difficult to read :) Sorry!

Rene
One more comments, I have a TD 150 running at my other place and it is a great table for the $100-400. More solidly built than the TD166, but not quite as nice in condition. The TD 150 is fairly close in built to the much larger TD125. Nice table for the time (the one I have is two years older than me!).

Also, here is great comment on the different Thorens turntables byDave of Vinyl Nirvana (who restores Thorens and AR):

July 4, 2005

Since I sell a lot of Thorens turntables, another question I get asked a lot is, "How do I rank the Thorens belt-driven tables?" First, I should mention what models I have owned. I have owned, in numerical order: TD-125, 125 MKII, 126 MKII, 145, 145 MKII, 147, 160, 160 MKII, 160 Super, 165, and 166 MKII. For this ranking, I will concentrate just on those models that came with stock arms. (So, I need to eliminate the TD-160 Super, which did not come with stock arm.) Out of all of these models, my personal favorite is the TD-126 MKII. First, it is massive in weight. Second, it offers great flexibility in terms of just dialing in whether you want fully manual or semi-manual. Third, there is electronic speed control. Fourth, it features three logical speeds: 33, 45, and 78. (What were they thinking when they designed the 125 lineup with "16"?) Simply put, I am so astonished by the sound of a stock 126 MKII that I have not even considered upgrading the tonearm. A close second to the 126 MKII are the two 125s. However, I tend to prefer the flexibility of the 126's variable settings. I also prefer the design of the 126's dustcover. The 125 dustcover is very prone to breakage.

Below the tier of these tables is the TD-147. I am surprised how few people know of the 147. It is basically a TD-160 Super with a stock Thorens arm. So, it has an improved platter bearing, factory installed damping, heavier base, and an adjustable dustcover with METAL hinges. It also has auto-shut-off. I love the look of the 147 with the black metal plinth against the rosewood/mahogany wood sides. After the 147, I would rank the 160 and 145 as next in performance. (The 145 is basically a 160 with auto-shut off.) The 160 was my first Thorens, and I have never lost my love for it. This table produces fantastic sound for the money.

I would rank the 165/166MKII at the bottom of my list, but by no means are these awful tables. A well set-up 165/166 is a pleasure to listen to. I would argue that most ears could not discern the difference between a 160 and a 165/166 in a blind test. The essential difference between a 160 and a 165 is a plastic inner platter (rather than metal on the 160) and a motor without a clutch. In addition, the 166 MKII uses some thin mdf on the bottom which damages easily.

Dave also restores and sells restored tables. Seems like a very nice guy and very helpful. His webside has much info about the different tables.

Enjoy!

Rene