How does Throens TD160 stand up?

Know were not talking TD 124 II or Garrard 301 but notice that a number of companies made adapters for it's odd sized mounting plate.Wonder about sound ,how difficult it is to keep settings for springs.Is it worth replacing cheap power chord and IC's perhaps springs under plate.Woeks Ok speed sems accurate but not the newest kid on the block.Think with theis and maybe NOS 3009 (might even accept 12 arm) or other replacement open to suggestions here.Am in process of thinking about scrapping three decks this TD160,a stock Linn 1982 LP12 with a Grace arm,adn my jewel (that's just too big and does not have a anti skate VPI Aries 12.5 and gojung to build bedroom out of cheap Scout plinths whioch abound with a TNT5 platter and getting multi arm deck with 9" VPI to just quick swap and getting a mount for a multi arm like Teres,or other two or three arm decks with an SME 309 with swappable haed for good mono and MC stereo.The 9" arms can use $300 carts.But dump money into TD160?Don't think I'd get it back in sale.Ditto with Linn,Freind will buy VPI.But these old decks Iwoidner keep it for bedrrom and have better than a Scout?Linn too expensive an finicky but need best return strategy there.Anthother one my all over the place questions.But TD160- worth keeping for second?????
Thanks
Chazz
chazzbo

Showing 1 response by gregm

There's a mod recipe for the 160 -- I'll try to find it & mail it to you. Maybe you can try googling this. The actual cost is minimal -- but there's some elbow-grease. You change the springs, remove the plasticky washers, & etc.
Keep that 160 -- or give it to a good friend. With a 3009 it plays good music. I had one eons ago with a long version of that sme...!