How does the Jolida JD-100 compare to...

I've seen alot of comparisons to CDP's that sell used for less than $1000, but can anyone report how this CD player compares to higher end units? I've got an Arcam CD23, and would like to know if anyone has done any comparisons. Or how about some other very good units, such as the Theta Miles, Cary upper end players, and others.

All relevant observations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
peter_s

Showing 2 responses by buxter66

I did alot of research, auditioning and listening to various players before deciding on the Jolida jd100 (modded by parts connexion).
Before I begin, a couple of disclaimers so people don't jump down my throat...
1. I did not A/B them in my house/system.
2. These are only my personal observations.
3. I am not saying that one player is better than another player... just better for me.
4. Cost played a relatively small role in my choice. (I would have spent much more for a used ****** if I thought it would bring me more listening pleasure.

Arcam CD92- I really liked this player. Detailed, neutral, good soundstage. I thought something was missing in the music dept. here. Thought the Jolida sounds more alive.

Cary 303-200- Excellent CD Player. Very coherent, resolving, detailed, great for classical music. I found the presentation too serious and sober for my taste. Very refined. Captures instrumental timbres very well, accurately.

Naim CDS- Wonderful player. Very detailed and musical, tasty presentation. A little lean sounding, and slightly edgy in feel(not sound). Everybody talks about PRAT with Naim and I agree, but I find the Jolida more laid back and listenable.

Meridian 507- bright, harsh, very digital, unlistenable.

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista - Overly refined. I heard an overabundance of hi-fi sonicery but missed the music. Everything is very well organized, separation, soundstaging, detail, accuracy.... etc. etc. I found the presentation very anal. You couldn't pay me to own one of these.

Mark Levinson 39- I found this the Herbert von Karajan of CD players. Everything implies perfection in all departments. But felt it lacked the abiltiy to transmit the soul, warmth and humanity present in the recordings. And I'm not talking about coloration.

The Jolida I've had since December. I find it Very musical, detailed without being analytical, and just plain fun to listen to. Good value, and tube rolling makes a huge difference. Smooth treble, beautiful instrumental timbres, good firm bass, gorgeous midrange... good separation, airy... not the last word in resolution but not bad either. The music sings and swings with this player... I listen to it for hours and find I'm even listening to it more than my records. I wish I could have heard the audionote cd 2.1 or 3.1, but just couldn't wait any longer. I'm still really curious about those 2.

Hope this is helpful, good luck.
I have telefunken smooth plates 12ax7's. took the jolida to a different league over the svetlanas. much more refined, organic, musical, much more layering, separation, dimension, instrumental timbres way more right, esp. strings and piano, not to mention vocals and everything else . I find the tele's quite subtle, highly detailed, "upright" in presentation. I would like some specific suggestions too along with their sonic traits...