How does the AES compare with "real" Cary?i.e 845?

I am thinking specifically of the 845 mono's that Audio Electronic Supply makes.How do they compare with the 805 or other 845 (211/300 SET) in the $2500 list price range.Anybody compare 'em?
chazzbo
These two amps are entirely different products.

Most people presume that a tube amp is a product of the output tubes it employs. Following this, an EL34 amp is an EL34 amp, a KT88 amp is a KT88 amp, a 2A3 amp is a 2A3 amp. Not entirely so!

The most important piece of a tube amplifier are the transformers. The other components(capacitors, resistors, wire, tube sockets, etc.) are also critical. Tubes are like gasoline or spark plugs on an automobile, most people do not modify their car's engines, but some brands of gasoline or spark plugs can give a different flavor to the engine.

Other than the fact that these two amps are mono, employ 845 output tubes, and are made by Cary, they are entirely different products. Perhaps other than the IEC connectors(not sure they are the same), there may be no other components shared by them. Just look at their other tubes, different.

Actually, the AES 845 is based off the SE-811 amp. It just happens to feature the 845. This basically doubles the power, and lends a different tone to the amp.

Both the AES 845 and Cary 805C are very, very nice sounding amps. Lending a bit of the SET magic to those with speakers are too inefficient to be driven by 300B, 2A3, or 45 based amplifiers. I would characterize the AES 845 as a bit slower, sunnier, and warmer. The Cary is more refined, detailed, quick, extended, powerful, cosmetically appealing, with much better bass response. It also brings you closer to the music; what SET people are REALLY after. Parts quality, and the cosmetic parts of the Cary are several steps above the AES. However, when factoring the price into the equation, I would opt for the AES. It's a nice deal for $2500.
As I noted in another post, Cary unveiled the Rocket 88 at CES, 4 KT88s, 20 watts triode, 40 in pentode. They used it to drive a B&W Nautilus 801, to demonstrate how it handles difficult loads...in triode mode!! Most important, it was extremely impressive in delivering the music...$2500. It's a fine looking/sounding amp, and I'd really recommend checking it out. Call Cary and ask them how the different amps compare, then have a listen! Good luck!