How does adding a second subwoofer improve your systems SQ?

The title pretty much covers my question. Thanks for any insights or comments.   
markj941
Search DBA, distributed bass array, Geddes, and study posts of noble100, audiokinesis, and millercarbon. Geddes worked out the relevant science and acoustics that is the basic foundation for using multiple subs. Duke as the only current maker of these type systems has by far the greatest technical knowledge and experience. Tim was a fairly early adopter and has posted extensively on just how well the Swarm works. And I myself used their combined knowledge in building my own DBA. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 Which is how I know the more, the better.
@erik_squires Another great post! Really well done, and attractive to boot. I’m wondering if you can tell me what the sonic difference might be if I added a second subwoofer? 
The reason that I ask is that in my present set up, my single subwoofer provides enough bass and it is fairly clean and tight. I had to connect the subwoofer to the two mono blocks and that provided a speaker level input into the sub.

Many people have said that I really need to have a second sub woofer but if I were to get another one what would I notice about the sound (assuming that I could place them correctly)? 
Thank you for the kind words @hilde45

It's hard to tell without measurements, honestly, but before you get to your second subwoofer, the room treatment and EQ could be considered. With 1 sub, and good room treatment, properly set up, it can be magnificent.

A second sub, if you are free to place it anywhere, can certainly compensate for any big nulls, but what if you don't have any, or what if you use an open layout which does not lend itself well to standing waves to begin with?

Best,

E