How do you roll? First LP on a new TT.

I am new and I am sure there are threads that touch on this, but I was wondering what others play that first virgin time they hook up a new turntable.

I will be getting my kit in a couple of days, and I naturally started thinking about what I wanted to play. Of course, it is not just about the turntable, but the amps, speakers, cartage etc. but just in terms of music: what do you use to test your new kit out?

My family is very musical. A great relative founded the Vancouver symphony; I have two family members in the Chicago symphony chorus; and my grandfather was an accompanist to Italian opera singers in the 40s. 'Classical' is natural, so some Sir George Solti comes to mindm -- but I don't have any of his vinyl.

I also have a soft spot for punk rock (yikes), and laying down some Lagwagon or Authority Zero would really make my day -- but probably wouldn't tell me much. It would be fun though.

In the end, I think I am going to go with some Andrew Bird (Scythian Empires) or even more contemporary, such as First Aid Kit. Nice vocals with some good instrumentation.

Just wondering what other people's play-back reference is.

Cheers,
k.
drinky

Showing 1 response by zd542

"I will be getting my kit in a couple of days, and I naturally started thinking about what I wanted to play. Of course, it is not just about the turntable, but the amps, speakers, cartage etc. but just in terms of music: what do you use to test your new kit out?"

It's just like a CD player. You can play anything you want. But before you do any serious listening, you need to let the cartridge break in. Sometimes they sound so bad, you may think something is broken. Somewhere between 50-100 hours will do it for most carts. Just make sure to keep track of how much break in time you put on it. Its easy to lose track.