How Do You Live The Audiophile Life

I don’t really have the credentials to be on Audiogon. Kef Q150s and new NAD equipment that replaced my stalwart Arcam Solo. Maybe I can peek over the fence.
So I’ve have a question about the new equipment. I’m browsing the forums, looking for an answer. I know as much as about audio as anyone who isn’t an audiophile. But I was astonished at the number of brands I’d never heard of. And I know the price of the stuff I have heard of.
I’m in NYC. Maybe there’s five high-end dealers here. I’m guessing that number drops off quickly once you cross the Hudson.
This is a long winded way to ask how you live the audiophile life? How do you get access to this stuff? I’d want to hear something before dropping a car-like sum on it. Do you buy blind? Do you travel? Go to the industry shows? Help me, teach me, inform me.
I guess this question applies to speakers as well. Maybe more so. But I was in the amplifier section so . . .
paul6001
Once a performer plays / sings into a microphone, or mixing console, you have lost all truth, all reality, all the accuracy, of said instrument or voice. Recordings are limited, and the playback gear, is purchased, to try to reassemble it, back to it’s beginnings. No matter how much you spend, no matter what you do to your room, no matter how experienced you are, as a listener, the sound, will never be " like the real thing ". So, knowing I am listening to a recording, I stay engaged, and listen to the " playing ", the " singing "......the " performance, the artistry " aspect, of my favorite musicians. PRAT, is a real thing. Dynamics, is a real thing. Fortissimo and pianissimo, are a real thing. Yes, tone is important. Coherence is important. Stage development, is important. These are all part of live, unamplified music. Determine what is most important to you, and if who you are listening to, engages you, and continues, to keep you listening....you are, on your way. Enjoy !
I guess you missed the show I mixed for Jim Campilongo a while back. He uses a Princeton Reverb turned all the way up, and had he been unamplified...well...perhaps somewhat harder to enjoy...
If you are speaking to me........Yes, I know he plays a Fender Tele, which goes through an amplifier. All electrics, go through an amplifier....the use of a reverb, is to get a type of sound. I prefer, less reverb, which is my personal preference. 
Find a dealer that gets good reviews and you trust. Let them help you. Trial and error can waste a lot of money.
if the dealer carries used gear... even better. Many dealers will offer trade up programs on speakers you buy fomr them. This can also be a good way to work your way up the speaker ladder.

You are starting with a good system it looks like.