How Do You Live The Audiophile Life

I don’t really have the credentials to be on Audiogon. Kef Q150s and new NAD equipment that replaced my stalwart Arcam Solo. Maybe I can peek over the fence.
So I’ve have a question about the new equipment. I’m browsing the forums, looking for an answer. I know as much as about audio as anyone who isn’t an audiophile. But I was astonished at the number of brands I’d never heard of. And I know the price of the stuff I have heard of.
I’m in NYC. Maybe there’s five high-end dealers here. I’m guessing that number drops off quickly once you cross the Hudson.
This is a long winded way to ask how you live the audiophile life? How do you get access to this stuff? I’d want to hear something before dropping a car-like sum on it. Do you buy blind? Do you travel? Go to the industry shows? Help me, teach me, inform me.
I guess this question applies to speakers as well. Maybe more so. But I was in the amplifier section so . . .
paul6001
There has been a lot of good advice give...here is another 2 cents worth.

Take some time with the system you have now and over the next couple weeks, make some notes for yourself...what are the things you like and what don't you like....and use maybe no more than 10 songs to help you develop the list.  And while listening, use a phone app to check the loudness.

Examples:  tone, dynamics, spaciousness, punch, low end, detail or brightness, sibalance, harshness.

The idea is to get familiar with what your system sounds like and get familiar with what the songs sound like on your system...what do you like and what would you like to improve.

Now when you go elsewhere to listen, bring your list, bring your songs and you will now have a legitimate reference for comparison...and listen at the same loudness level that you do at home.  And make some notes again about what you hear and how it compares.

One final thing...don't be afraid of the internet direct companies...most have liberal listening and return policies and they make some fantastic gear...ok, you may have to pay some return shipping but except for big speakers it won't be that much money.

Good luck

Read reviews and, especially with speakers, listen before you buy. I made that mistake a couple of years ago when I talked myself into a pair of well regarded relatively high efficiency speakers that couldn't cut the mustard when compared to the less efficient speakers I already owned...being driven by a 12wpc little tube amp (why I wanted higher efficiency). Sold the new speakers, and listened to a pair of Klipsch Heresy IIIs...bought 'em and really like those...99db efficiency. 

To live the "audiophile life" you must own a smoking jacket and those Gucci loafers, at least two sporty cars, a stash of various whiskeys, and be prepared to spend hours alone admiring your belongings and understanding what Estoril Blue is.
The quality of the question you ask, determines the quality of the answer you receive. Quality question, Quality answers...

Bingo!

Also, do you hang around and act interested, or post some spur of the moment random thoughts and bail?

Feet proped up, black Russian in hand, brownie on the side, spinning vinyl. Thanks for asking. Enjoy the music