How Do You Live The Audiophile Life

I don’t really have the credentials to be on Audiogon. Kef Q150s and new NAD equipment that replaced my stalwart Arcam Solo. Maybe I can peek over the fence.
So I’ve have a question about the new equipment. I’m browsing the forums, looking for an answer. I know as much as about audio as anyone who isn’t an audiophile. But I was astonished at the number of brands I’d never heard of. And I know the price of the stuff I have heard of.
I’m in NYC. Maybe there’s five high-end dealers here. I’m guessing that number drops off quickly once you cross the Hudson.
This is a long winded way to ask how you live the audiophile life? How do you get access to this stuff? I’d want to hear something before dropping a car-like sum on it. Do you buy blind? Do you travel? Go to the industry shows? Help me, teach me, inform me.
I guess this question applies to speakers as well. Maybe more so. But I was in the amplifier section so . . .
paul6001
Post removed 
mijostyn, for most folks I think it is probably easier, and certainly cheaper, to put together a great high end system, than to find the 'right' woman.

Try getting rid of a 'wrong' woman!  And no one wants to take them as trade in's. :-) 
What a wonderful question- hopefully you are madly in love with music and where it can take you....
One fast track path is to buy a gently used copy of Jim Smiths book - Get Better Sound

btw, I have a nearly 40 year old NAD 3020A that is still a fantastic amp... running some Dynaco A-25 off a Nak deck.... lovely