How Do You Live The Audiophile Life

I don’t really have the credentials to be on Audiogon. Kef Q150s and new NAD equipment that replaced my stalwart Arcam Solo. Maybe I can peek over the fence.
So I’ve have a question about the new equipment. I’m browsing the forums, looking for an answer. I know as much as about audio as anyone who isn’t an audiophile. But I was astonished at the number of brands I’d never heard of. And I know the price of the stuff I have heard of.
I’m in NYC. Maybe there’s five high-end dealers here. I’m guessing that number drops off quickly once you cross the Hudson.
This is a long winded way to ask how you live the audiophile life? How do you get access to this stuff? I’d want to hear something before dropping a car-like sum on it. Do you buy blind? Do you travel? Go to the industry shows? Help me, teach me, inform me.
I guess this question applies to speakers as well. Maybe more so. But I was in the amplifier section so . . .
paul6001
Just like a little kid.  WHY?

Why do I (you) listen to music?

Do you like music?
Does the music sound the way you like?
Does it HAVE to be right?
Can you get it to sound the way you want?
Do you like to tinker, and tinker and tinker to get it RIGHT?

Are you NUTS? LOL, have to be a little off.. ok! OCD is the norm, not the exception...

The quality of the question you ask, determines the quality of the answer you receive. Quality question, Quality answers...

Enjoy it..., share it, it's fun...

Regards
The advice to listen to live music frequently and critically is foundational.   The second observation I will make is that I learned more in the first 4 months of reading the audiogon forum than I learned in 40 years of reading the magazines and visiting brick and mortar stores.  The third observation is that no one "gets is right" at first.   So, buy used, and buy items that hold their resale value.  That allows you to gain a sense of what you like without spending a fortune.  Final advice is don't ignore gaining an understanding of acoustics.  Unless you get lucky, even the best  system won't approach near its potential without attention to the listening room. 
Develop your secrecy skills if you have a spouse. Always claim that a particular piece of equipment costs much less than you actually paid for it. Phrases like, "I got a great deal on Audiogon!" or "It was actually way less than I expected because I traded in my old piece!" work well -- whether you actually did such trading is immaterial.

Learn how much recognizability factor your spouse has in terms of any new equipment. Speakers are the most identifiable new component. However, new phono pre’s and DAC’s can be easily tucked away and blended in with other little metal boxes you have on your audio shelf. WARNING: Tube equipment with exposed tubes is highly recognizable! However, once you've established the presence of tubed equipment, upgrading and/or swapping out existing pieces for new ones becomes easier as long as it's not a radical new design.

Keep a record of how much your equipment is actually worth so, in the event your spouse outlives you, they won’t sell if for what you claimed to have paid for it.
Post removed