How do you know what you're missing?

Without listening to better systems than your own, how do you go about targeting what to improve? How do you know what is possible? It's a case of you don't know what you don't know. I get that indistinguishable from live is the definition of high fidelity, but I don't see that as a realistic aspiration without a dedicated built to spec room and a few orders of magnitude more expensive gear.

Reading reviews or forums can't possibly educate as well as demonstration. "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture," applies to the hardware as well as the media. I've isolated myself for many years prior to current circumstances. I can't remember the last time I actually went and listened to someone else's system. For that matter it's been years since I heard live music, too. (I don't count serenading the cat at home.)

Is it a case of you'll know it when you see it? Is this not a common problem? Or do you just not know it is a problem?
cat_doorman

Showing 1 response by cd318

@cat_doorman,

As @mapman
said,

"In any pursuit, not just hifi, you have to have a clear vision of the goal or call it the target before you can hit it.

If you are asking the question it sounds like you don’t know what the target is in which case one is shooting blindly.

So how to identify the target? Easy, you listen to a lot of things until you can identify “That sound” you want to hear. Both live music and recordings on good quality “reference systems” help. The more you listen the more your brain becomes trained to recognize that good sound when you hear it.

Then the question becomes how to get it in your room? That’s the other hard part.

But the key is to start with fundamentals. Speakers that will work well in your room, placing them properly for best sound, acquiring an amp capable of not just playing them but driving them to their max, a good quality preamp that matches output impedance well to the amp, and of course a good quality source (setting up a phono rig is a whole story in itself much harder than finding a good quality DAC for streaming)."

A good an introduction as you could want.

This hobby, like so many others, eventually is eventually revealed as no more or no less than a quest for self knowledge and discovery.

Therefore identifying the target (the wish, the goal, the destination, the end stop etc) should be of some interest.

Initially some might find just the journey alone is worthwhile and self fulfilling but eventually that could cease to be the case and impatience and frustration leading to regret might set in.

A better way, I think, is to know yourself first and what you want deep down.

Are you a subjectivist or an objectivist.

Or maybe you’re foremost a pragmatist?

Just how well do you really know yourself?

Bear in mind that this is likely to be a solo journey without much interest from many outsiders.

Who else has the time, the interest, the patience or the resources to assist with someone else’s life journey?

Thankfully, you’re in the right place here to make an educated start.