How do you high pass your main speakers?

I have been very happy with the distributed bass array I added to my system, but from what I hear, the optimum method of integration is to high pass the main speakers.

Two questions:

1. What are my options for accomplishing this? Does this need to be a feature built into my amplifier or is there another component that needs to be inserted in the chain. 

2. What crossover point would be ideal? What frequency and amount of rolloff would be best if my speakers are ATC SCM19's which have a frequency response of (-6dB) 54Hz-22kHz.

Cheers,

Tony

128x128tony1954
Post removed 

Does your integrated amp have a pre amp out / amp in feature? If so just run the Harrison filters with rca jumpers.  I'd suggest the 70hz ones for you. 

That said, I kind of agree with the folks who say to just carefully  dial in your bass array.  

The beauty of your setup its you could try both to see what you prefer. 

Good Luck!

I have been thinking about tri-amping, so this topic has been on my mind. 
Rightly or wrongly, I don’t wish to put a digital component in the stream.

An interesting device I’ve seen can be found at this link.  https://sublimeacoustic.com/products/k231-stereo-3-way-active-crossover

I have purchased, and I’m currently having these devices checked over and cleaned up. Firstly, a Sansui AU-5900.  I love this vintage integrated amp, and it produces a sound very pleasing to me. The key piece is the Sansui CD-5, A three-way crossover, with variable crossover points. I plan to use the pre-out on the integrated into the CD-5, and then use the Integrated +2 additional amps. Additionally, I have purchased a Sansui BA-90, and a BA-60 for amplification. Some of the questions I have: what crossover points?… good thing the CD-5 is adjustable. Also, do I want to run the highs, lows, or mid range back into the integrated?

If anybody wants to discuss this rare, vintage, and quirky set up further, feel free to DM me, I don’t want to hijack the thread. But I am actively in the process of figuring this out.

Good luck to the OP, I fully support that you need to separate the signals and have your amps only drive the separated frequencies.

@ddrave44 

Yeah. The more I think about my options and how they fit into my setup, the possible cost and how it will affect the sound quality, the more I think that tweaking the bass array crossover point seems the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried a Bryston active high-pass between my Ayre preamp and amp and didn’t like the resulting sound. When I asked Ayre about it, Charles Hansen castigated me for placing an active component between his preamp and amp -- a zero feedback issue. He did approve of the passive balanced Marchand 80 Hz 24 dB high-pass I now use, and the Ayre sound is preserved.  A Velodyne SMS-1 provides acoustic room correction for a pair of HGS-15s.