How do you get the "real" feel of music?

There is a certain "real" feeling that I get when I go to a live concert. It's more of "feeling" the music instead of "hearing" it. That feeling, I think, comes from percussion instruments. I'd like to get that feel in my home stereo but it's not there. In my home, snare drums don't pop, I don't feel the bass drum in my chest, and rim shots don't exist. Is there a way to get that presence in a small system?

I'm not rich, and I don't want to hear, "Scrap all your sorry equipment and get a Krell, Bryston and HSU..." so with that in mind, I've got a 12x16 room with:

Sony DVP-NS500 DVD
JVC HR-S5900 VCR
Harman Kardon AVR80 II as a pre-amp
Parasound HCA-1205 power amp

I have used
Definitive Technologies BP-6
Polk Audio R40, CS-175, and PSW-250
Bose Accoustimass 5
Bose R-41

Is there any hope?
beetle63
Bear is of course talking about dynamic range in his first paragraph, and how if you were to use an expander on a lot of the compressed and limited material available, you would wind up with quieter "quiets" for a majority of the playing time. But his comments also happen to point up the fact of what a grotesque parody of "natural" sound most electronically reinforced "live" concerts present today, something John Atkinson commented on in a recent column.

But if you're familiar with (and listen to recordings of) naturally produced acoustic music, perceivability of the really quiet events is definitely a good thing if one is trying to achieve "live"-sounding results. For this you also need low noise (high S/N ratio). This applies not only to the system, but to the listening environment as well. Low-level detail can be easily masked by ambient noise.

Bear's point about system headroom and room size also bring up another aspect, which can be called "absolute volume fidelity". Too often in our systems, it is just easier to ignore this, but for naturally recorded music, you really must be able to reproduce it at the same volume at which it was originally played. The illusion of "live" cannot genuinely be approached otherwise, and this only makes sense. But for something like a piano or a horn, this requires a lot more power than most folks realize not to compress or distort the instantaneous peaks, and your room must be of a certain size, and preferably acoustically treated as well, if it is also not to overload on these and give away the game.

Finally, I would like to point out that while seemingly not high on the priority list of most audiophiles, and not yet attainable for most program material anyway, recreating a believable, immersive soundfield through some sort of multi-channel record/playback scheme will do as much or more to address the "live-like" question as any of the preceding can. Sorry to repeatedly wander so far off-topic on the thread-head's question about how to accomplish "live" given a modest system in a small room without scrapping it all, but I don't know how to do that, so I ramble instead. }:-(
The closest I have been able to come to live music is with Stax electrostatic headphones. Headphones are not everybody's cup of tea but if you haven't heard them, give them a try
Well Beetle, I guess if you want to "sharpen" your sound, horns are the way to go. Not for me... Tom
I fully agree with Zaikesman's comments. I firmly beleive that the "feeling" you refer to from live performances can not be gotten through hi-fi's,HOWEVER, a better system than what you currently are listening to would definitely help you in bringing that feeling you get from live music closer to you in your home. I also think that we can drive ourselves nuts if we continually buy the "next" new component in hopes of achieving the "absolute sound" as opposed to getting the best sound we can afford and enjoy the music.That's not to say we shouldn't upgrade when we can, but to do it reasonably, and basically enjoy what we have. It's all about the music anyway, isn't it?
You need speakers with a fast response, which go down low and which move a lot of air...and for those rimshots ...don't laugh...a tweeter,( and a good midrange driver of course ) which can handle real fast transients.