How do you get the "real" feel of music?

There is a certain "real" feeling that I get when I go to a live concert. It's more of "feeling" the music instead of "hearing" it. That feeling, I think, comes from percussion instruments. I'd like to get that feel in my home stereo but it's not there. In my home, snare drums don't pop, I don't feel the bass drum in my chest, and rim shots don't exist. Is there a way to get that presence in a small system?

I'm not rich, and I don't want to hear, "Scrap all your sorry equipment and get a Krell, Bryston and HSU..." so with that in mind, I've got a 12x16 room with:

Sony DVP-NS500 DVD
JVC HR-S5900 VCR
Harman Kardon AVR80 II as a pre-amp
Parasound HCA-1205 power amp

I have used
Definitive Technologies BP-6
Polk Audio R40, CS-175, and PSW-250
Bose Accoustimass 5
Bose R-41

Is there any hope?
beetle63

Showing 2 responses by trich727

I agree with Indiana, although having enough clean power to drive the speakers is important too. However, and this is my opinion, I have never heard a natural sounding horn speaker in my life. I know of no good studio that uses horn monitors, and in fact the speakers I use go the the extreme oposite in design to get as far away from the horn or even box effect by putting the mids and tweeters in seperate smaller enclosures so the enclosure is not a factor at all. I am speaking about B&W 801's and 802's, which I would highly advise you listen to. The list of top rated studios that use these is almost endless. Tom
Well Beetle, I guess if you want to "sharpen" your sound, horns are the way to go. Not for me... Tom