How do I start?

I'm a newbie in this arena, but would like to get started. Probably like most people, I'm on a tight budget. I decided I'm going to just start by buying piece by piece. I've got a cheap 27" TV and a cheap DVD player already. My plan is to buy something each year for my system. My question to you experts is what should I buy first? I don't necessarily mean brands (but if you want to recommend some that's fine too) rather should I start with getting a receiver, speakers, etc.? I'm thinking about $1000-$1500 is my starting budget. Thanks in advance for any help,

sah22
sah223e58

Showing 1 response by sah223e58

You guys are great for answering me so fast. I've been researching for about a month and I thought I would get a receiver first. I have an older Home Theater in a box from Onkyo that just has Pro Logic. I thought it sounded pretty decent in my apartment. Now I have a different apartment and a family, which is why I can't spend all my money. I've pretty much narrowed my choice of getting the Integra 7.2. It doesn't have Dolby Digital EX, but I'm guessing the 7.3 will come out pretty soon. I'm thinking that maybe I should go the receiver route instead of the preamp amp route. It seems a little less confusing, althouth I got the chills looking at the parasound equipment (Glen, I haven't bought anything yet and I'm already stuck!). The local shop sold NHT speakers and I thought they sounded great. I admit though, I'm a newbie and probably can't tell the difference as well as you all can from other speakers.

My system will be mostly for movies and not as much for music. My room is about 15' x 25'. I liked the receiver because it has some flexibility for multirooming. I definitely want to wire my whole house when I get one (who knows when that will be). While I just said my receiver is mostly for movies I would like to someday play music throughout the house.

I'll continue to monitor the responses. Thanks again for the input.