How do I spend $5000? A CD player or DAC for my De

After my fiasco with auditioning McIntosh 871 universal player (which I didn't like at all) I'm now considering either buying a dedicated redbook player instead of Sony XA9000ES and keeping my Denon 3930 for DVDs only or indeed buying a DAC to use with Denon as a transport. I don't think I'm ready to spend more than $5000 for either. The thing is I simply don't know which is better - a dedicated $5000 CD player or Denon 3930 plus $5000 DAC? I'm selling Sony anyway - the rack has place for only 2 sources and of course I need a DVD player anyway. What do you,guys, think?

Showing 3 responses by no_money

I would dedicate the 5k to a single box solution... That is if everything downstream is up to task.

What is the rest of your system though?
I tried the transport/dac thing years ago with a sony S9000es and a Proceed DAP, Transaprent digital cable.

I prefered the MF308cd to this. Once you separate the transport and dac then you have to worry about the digital cable which can send you down another (expensive) path.

What about a single box solution that offers digital inputs like the Levinson 390?