How do I spend $5000? A CD player or DAC for my De

After my fiasco with auditioning McIntosh 871 universal player (which I didn't like at all) I'm now considering either buying a dedicated redbook player instead of Sony XA9000ES and keeping my Denon 3930 for DVDs only or indeed buying a DAC to use with Denon as a transport. I don't think I'm ready to spend more than $5000 for either. The thing is I simply don't know which is better - a dedicated $5000 CD player or Denon 3930 plus $5000 DAC? I'm selling Sony anyway - the rack has place for only 2 sources and of course I need a DVD player anyway. What do you,guys, think?

Showing 4 responses by bmdduck

The Cambridge 840C has a digital input. It's not quite in the 5K category but from all the buzz it's a great piece.

How about DACs in pre-pros like the Proceed?
The reason I am wondering about the seperate DAC vs a single box solution is the flexibility to use it with a music server and to improve the performance of your existing player. I currently have a Sony DVP-NS9100ES which is pretty nice. With that player, I tend to think a really good DAC is the way to go.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether a cheap player fed into an audiophile DAC would significantly compromise quality (introducing jitter, etc) vs a high grade transport?

One last thing...anyone have any opinions on DACs inside A/V pre-pros that compete with good stand alone DACs? I'm wondering about the DACs in processors like the Proceed AVP, Anthem AVM line or Theta CasaNova vs a Benchmark or similar DAC.
So how ourld you recommend isolating the 9000 from the rest of my system? For that matter, what's the best way to get into power isolation/protection? I currently have just a NAIM/Wiremold power strip. It's probably about time to invest in some power conditioning.