How do I listen to music on computer thru receiver

I am looking to pruchase a new SR receiver. I want to use it 50% HD and 50% my music library. I have copied my music to my desk top computer and would like to play from computer thru the new SR receiver. What make and model is recomended. $500 is budget. I just got into this audio stuff and I'm starting to enjoy music again. I have ERA D14's and PSB 25"s. I also have a Dynaudio c120. All sound fine with old receiver.

Thanks in adavance.
onehole

Showing 1 response by mbreed1962

I believe by "SR" you mean surround sound receiver? In any case, how far is your computer located from where you will have your AV Receiver? If it is colocated with your other audio equipment, you can connect it in as simply as using a minijack to RCA adapter. As for an receiver choice, I'd recommend giving strong consideration to the new Yamaha RXV-665. It has some robust connectivity options, is clean sounding and has enough power to work well with your speakers. Just go to my website, beyondaudiojax dot com and link to products, Yamaha. I'm an authorized dealer so let me know what you think. Truthfully, if your computer is not colocated with your equipment, check out Sonos. You can use a Zone Player 90, Zone Bridge and Controller to make available everything on your computer, plus a whole lot more. Bear in mind that playing music directly off your computer using WM Player and any other wireless solution will probably frustrate you greatly. They are prone to dropouts and pops. Also, I found that the wireless connectivity options typically gave the music a "compressed sound." Not true with Sonos. The music sounds as good as if you were playing it direct. Send me an email, lets talk.