I'd try something like the Fiio A3 portable headphone amp to see if you like that presentation. It's only $60 so it's low risk and a reasonable match for what you're trying to do. You could use it in the house or the car.
- Suitable for headphones ranging from 16 to 150 Ohms. Gain switch for matching output to headphone power needs.
- Superior sound quality through expertly selected components and design, utilizing OPA1642 preamp and AD8397 amp section.
- Fully discrete bass boost circuit increases output by 3.5dB at 60Hz, with bypass when off.
- Handsome all aluminum body and chassis is sturdy and shielding against EM interference.
- 1400mAh internal battery powers for up to 16 hours of use.