How do I choose a decent system?

I am a novice audiophile who would like to set up my first (and last) decent system for about $2,000. That would include a receiver, CD-changer, speakers and maybe a phonograph (I'm a little old school). An MP3 player wouldn't be out of the question either. The room I have is about 40'x20' without much in the way of sound absorbtion material (hardwood floors, high ceiling, spread out furniture, etc.) Oh, and the system shouldn't be too conspicuous. I've looked at(but haven't heard) the Nakamichi compact systems, as well as B&O stuff. Any advice would be appreciated.
dannebrog16ff

Showing 1 response by phil0618

You can also look at some low end, or aging separates. A used threshold Pre amp with phono can be had for say $350 and while old they are built to last forever. Adcom sold a well regarded pre amp GFP 555 that was well regarded and should be had for the same price. Amps from people like Adcom can be had for similar amounts.

Speakers are always a challenge but good name brands can all be had at good prices - KEF, B&W, Vandersteen and others. You'll need to decide on aesthetic as well as full range issues.

I just bought a used Sony SACD 333ES CD changer for $350 and I think it is excellent. Turntables are probaly best had as a turnkey system at your price point, but a used Rega Planar 3 should be within reach. You will stretch your budget by going separates, but I think it is an option. I've heard good things about some of the other integrated amps that were mentioned too.

Most of all, have fun with it.

Phil