How do I adjust the VU meters on my Tandberg 3014?

Hello all!

My first post here, although I've been "lurking" for awhile. You all have awesome knowledge and some unbelievable gear!

I have been enjoying the forum posts and especially ones by gearheads interested in old tape decks and old, vintage gear. I dug the comparison post where Nak vs. Tandberg is discussed. Great insight, and I've been a long time fan of Nakamichi, and a recent convert to all things Tandberg, although, I still love Naks. My best recording has also been done on Nakamichi decks, especially the LX-5 which is my favorite.

Here's my situation:

I've recently been experiencing some problems recording with my master record deck, my Nakamichi LX-5. The left channel was starting to go in and out, sometimes a very subtle drop on that left side during recording. By pushing the monitor button, I can cause the left channel to drop out without much effort. Knowing that it hasn't been serviced in over five years, I figure with a good lube and oil and basic cleaning and adjustment, I should be good to go for another few years. But the local service shop takes months.

So, in the interim, while getting the Nak fixed, I found a killer deal on a TANDBERG 3014 (Dragon Slayer) and immediately went over to check it out. It was absolutely pristine and I bought on the spot. I noticed the left VU was stuck in a higher than normal position in the red, but I did see movement, so I figured, with these decks being so adjustable, it would be no problem getting the meters set and perfectly aligned. With the 3014, you need a small plastic, as Tandberg calls it in their manual, "instrument screwdriver" to adjust the bias. The azimuth adjustment has a dial just below these bias holes where you fit the screwdriver to adjust the bias for normal, type II and metal tapes.

I followed the manual step by step in trying to get the meters adjusted, and the right side is dialed in to 0 db, as the manual instructs. The problem is the left side VU will not budge out of the red, no matter what adjustment I do with both bias and azimuth, the meter remains stuck. I see the meter moving at high decibels, but it mostly just sits there in the red.

I have done some test recording, and all the controls and features work perfectly, EXCEPT the recordings are obviously not leveled right, because of this stuck left VU meter.

IF anyone has experienced this with their 3014, or has insite on how I can adjust this meter manually, please let me know. I can find nothing in the original manual on how to adjust other than the bias/azimuth. Also, was wondering what position a "resting" VU should be at. I imagine, they rest right at 0 db. and never go far left, as some other VU's do.

Much appreciated!
GREAT SITE!
Stickwork
stickwork

Showing 1 response by nsgarch

My guess is that the pointer mechanism is mechanically stuck (ie from age, dirt, etc.) and electronic adjustment is not the answer. You could try either accessing the back of the meter and/or taking it out. If it has a hole anywhere on the case, you could try giving it a little shot of air. Otherwise you'll have to disassemble it and find out what's stuck. It sounds like the meter's OK electrically. If the coil was burned out, it would only move a little or not at all, but the pointer would be in the resting position (all the way over to the left.)