How do Dunlavys compared to new stuff?

I attended a Stereophile show in the 90s and the Dunlavy SC-IV was my favorite. I'm considering new speakers (thanks for the help on previous threads) and wondering if in 15 years newer designs have left them behind. How would these compare to similar designs/cost speakers of today?

There are some IIIs for sale, how do they compare to the IV? How much would IVs cost do you think?

Thanks,
Jim
river251

Showing 2 responses by river251

Thanks for the very thoughtful reply, Drubin. I have been set with my system containing Snell Es since the 90s. It's been a long time since I auditioned stuff so don't remember that well. I do remember liking Vandersteens (ci?), did not like NHTs as they seemed too sterile, and have liked the Proacs I have heard. Listening to many speakers at the Stereophile show, I really can't remember brands or impressions except that I always remembered that late in the day when I heard the Dunlavys I had the experience that I was sure without question they were my preference. My Snells have a sweetness I haven't heard in many speakers, but they lack in detail and imaging (and it could be my placement etc). I just thought I'd like to move up.

Jim
Thanks Stanwal. I use a large gauge multistrand wire obtained from an electrical supply. I should probably invest in some real cables. However, cost is certainly a factor and I wonder if investing a lot in these is a better choice than an upgrade to a better (imaging) speaker? Something has just happened with Snell and I've been trying to see if driver replacements are still available, the foam surrounds have already gone out once (in the nineties).