How do Digital Amps Mfrs. compare in sound?

I am so excited about all the reviews of various digital amps out there. I just know this is the future of audio because the value is just too irresistable.

But, there are so many companies out there: PS Audio, Bel Canto, NeForce, Wyred, Spectron, etc just to name a few. To compound the issue(s), the modding companies like Cullen Circuits are upgrading and modifying digital amps. So are there differences between these companies products' sound or does digital equipment sound homogenous? Where does the biggest "bang-for-the-buck" lie when it comes to digital amps? Has anyone directly compared any of these digital amps to each other?
128x128condocondor

Showing 1 response by jw94055

Look to the technology the amps are based on. ICE, Tripath, UcD, etc. I have used both Tripath and UcD based amps and I think UcD is better. Either amp is better than most mosfet,jfet, solid state amps. They have no "sound". They will, without adding their own sonic signature, amplify what they are fed. They are "neutral", which is what you want an amp to be. I have stated many times a tube pre with a "class D" amp is a great combination. I also believe any SS amp sounds better with a tube pre. I only know, that for me, "Class D" opens up the sound, highly detailed, very wide sound stage and with the tube pre, produces a warm musical experience. I have been in "hi fi" since 1971. The debate over this new technology has been anything but stifled. Just as SS rose against tubes, cd's replaced cassettes which came out against records; chips will overshadow mosfet/jfets. Each camp will have its champions and shrill voices. There will be product for each technology. Most will go with the new technology, some never will.
Excuse me as I listen to some Bach, produced by my system of cd through tube pre to a "Class D" amp. Debating over technology is not what is important, listening to music is. Less chat, more tunes.