How could High End audio be improved?

I have read alot here about many of the complaints about where High-End audio is going, and maybe it's dying, and stuff like that. Are the prices getting too high, or is the hype out of control, or is there too much confusion, or are there too many products, or obsolescence happening too fast, or new formats confusing things, or Home Theater taking over, or what?

What do you think are the main problems in the High End, and what would solve them? What will it take to get some vitality back in this industry?
twl

Showing 2 responses by tok20000

High End Audio has a lot of problems:

1 - It is a combination of art and technology. The art is effectively the music we hear through our music systems. The technology is the music system which lets us experience this art we call music. Why is this a problem? Well, look at the popular music that dominatates main stream America. Most of it wholly disagrees with me personally. How many people actually go to the Symphony anymore? How many people go to see live unamplified music? The general problem the average American works more hours a year than pretty much any other nationality. We are bombarded with ways to spend the little free time we have (TV, computer, internet, games, vacations, telephone, mobile phone, driving, books, magazines, home movies/DVDs, sports, watching sports, Cable TV, listening to music on low end devices nearly everywhere, more work, etc.). High end audio has to compete with a lot of technology for the use of our relatively little amount of free time. Compare it to decades like the 60's and 70's where there were barely any home computers, mobile phones, Cable or Satelite TV, home movies on DVD or even tape, internet. People had more time in these decades to listen to music. And remotely good sound could only really be heard on a home stereo system using a turntable or real to real tape.
Overcoming this problem is well VERY TOUGH. There was an article in the Jan 03 Stereophile that talks about these issues.

2 - Most really great equipment manufacturers do not offer products/components that are in the sub $1000 price category. This is a problem because the $1k barrier is a psychological barrier. I would love to see companies like GamuT or Ayre or Krell make an amp for $500. Or a CDP or Preamp at the $500 retail price point. I am sure these companies would say something like at that price profit margins would be next to nothing, and they would not sell well, and they would have a tough time entering that section of the market which is dominated by mass market companies like Sony. Well, it is their perogative... But I think if a company could make components that offered high value at the low price of $500, they could do very well in the midfi market. Who knows?

3 - The other problem is marketing. Or lackthereof. There is really only one electronics company that does a superlative job marketing... and it depresses the heck out of me: BOSE. Bose's success is due to it's marketing 100%. Other electronics companies generally have no clue how to market their product to get a wider audience. Ask any Joe off the stree and ask him what the best speakers he has ever heard... odds are he would answer: Bose. Makes me puke, but just because something disagrees with me does not make it true.

4 - Many high end stores are started by EITHER hobbiest or serious businessmen. The hobbiest tend not to be the greatest salesmen or business runners, and more than 9 times out of 10 their stores fail. The serious businessmen many times are only aiming for profit and thus, just cater to the lowerst common denominator. They could care less how their products sound as long as merchandise is moving. It is very rare that you find audiophiles running hi-end stores who really know how to run a business. And many times these folks have given into the profit mentality and end up pushing Sony ES receivers. Hi-end stores have to make a profit to stay in business else they go under.

5 - The other problem that Hi-End faces is the INTERNET. Yes folks, we take advantage of this a lot here at Audiogon. BUT, always remember... if everyone buys used gear online, most local Hi-end stores are going to go under. OR they will just stop carrying esoteric 2 channel altogether and focus on HT and HT installation. This is where a lot of audio stores have gone. If HT had not come into maturity with the DVD, many of these stores could have gone out of business.

Anyway, this and $2 will get you a coffee at Starbucks listening to their Bose speaker system. LOL

KF
I walked into my first high when I was about 15.
Heard some Boston Acoustic mini moniters.
Thought to myself... WOW how much are those speakers?
They sound AMAZING! They must be really expensive (even if they are tiny). The Salesman turned to me and said, "Amazing what sort of sound you can get out of a $250 speaker when you are driving it with well matched $10k of electronics."

I was hooked right then and there.

KF