How can I tell if I need a better clock for my DAC?

I was interested in the responses to a related post by leemaze this week, saying that a Synchro Mesh was a good way to improve a DAC with subpar jitter.  I have a Cambridge CXU, with an inboard DAC; how could I determine how much jitter it has? 
128x128cheeg
By my standards, the Cambridge is a fairly expensive (and well-reviewed) unit, but the sound it gives to a Redbook CD doesn’t compete with that of my more modest phono (Technics SL-D2 with a Nagoka MP-110). Can I expect to get comparable sound quality with a CD player and DAC, without spending well over $1000, or is this the unavoidable result of the 44/16 format?

A confirmed analog guy, I have learned, but only within the past year, that Redbook CD can be as good (if not exactly the same) as a very good vinyl set-up. With more consistency as well as the usual digital advantages, digital has come a long, long way.

I also learned a long time ago that "well reviewed" in the audio press means practically nothing. Better to spend some time and energy on the forums. This one and head-fi and computer audiophile, for ex.

I did 2 things that brought my CD listening to a higher level than I ever thought possible. One cost a bit of money; one cost me nothing.

First I sourced a high performing DAC* directly from China. Not very expensive from my point of view, but still just a bit more than you may want to spend. But I think one can do well for less. Second, rather than use a CDP, I ripped all of my CDs to a portable hard disk which I had hanging around and played them through my (also hanging around) laptop directly into the DAC (easiest if the DAC has a USB input). Sound is better than using my Oppo to play disks through the new DAC.  Also, using JRIver I can control my digital listening entirely from my phone.

*And yes it has a femtoclock, in fact three of them.
@melm — thanks for your advice. I tried ripping to hard drive, but could not hear any improvement. I may have to go with your higher cost option — mind sharing which DAC you bought?
My DAC is an LKS MH-DA004. There’s a thread about this DAC on this forum. Owning a Chinese DAC is a bit of an adventure, but worth it IMO. I believe there are other Chinese DACs out there for less money that also offer extraordinary value. It’s definitely the road less traveled though.

As for ripping CDs and getting better SQ, I think my experience is shared by many others. Your CDP has a severe limitation in that it does not support asynchronous USB, usually evidenced by a USB "b" port . See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBLto-DlGJo You might also look here and in the PC Audio forum for advice in getting improved SQ from ripping.
Seems like even a dCs dac gets better with a better clock. Better clocks and cleaner power can probably help almost any dac.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/dcs-puccini-clock
@headphonedreams and @melm — thanks for your posts — it sounds like my CXU could benefit from a reclocker; now I need to decide if the new clock will make more noticeable improvement than a better CDP or DAC... or MCP decoder, or whatever. Will the audio solution ever make itself known?