How can I improve my Sony SCD-777ES for red book

Dear Audiophiles,
I have a Sony SCD777ES and would like to improve on the redbook cd playback but not sure which route to take. Here are my options based on research thus far:
1) Sell it for about $1400.00 and buy a new CD/SACD player for about $3500.00 in the used market.

2) Send the unit in for modifications.

3) Buy a nice DAC for redbook. With is option, can I buy a nice DAC for around 2.5K ? What are your recommendations?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
anthuan

Showing 1 response by anthuan

Dear all,
Thank you very much for your valuable time spent of this subject in providing many detailed suggestions. If I replace the motors and laser pick-ups for $500.00 and Superclock 3 and Superclock 3 power supply as suggested by jadem6, would this mean that I am going to have more or less a new player in terms of longevity with significant improvement on redbook playback???. And yes i would still very much like to pursue the dying SACD and deal with it when it's dead. Can anyone please comment on what Bigkidz was saying about going with the DAC route, sonically,just as good or better than mods assuming with the same amount of money spent on both options.
Thanks again,
Goodnight