How best to shoe horn speakers into a room

Hello sports fans!

Am definitely not talking about sonically equalizing the room, or acoustically treating one at all. This enterprise could or should take place with any speaker types.

I’m merely referring to what size of speakers can or should fit into what ever sized room.

Youtube like Audiogon, is one of the many fascinating online venues. From which springs all manner of technical input on enumerable topics. Among these are takes on speakers and much of what anyone would or might want to know on all matters of the audio past time.

If you hit up Youtube to peruse the PSA listening room you’ll see an example of what this topic is about. Paul McGowan PS Audio CEO has a set of Infinity IRS loudspeakers for the reproducers du jour. 2 tons worth of loudspeakers in all, I think he said.

Gryphon Audio’s latest greatest effort in loudspeaker tech offers a likewise 1,000 pound each speaker system option.

Ultra high end speakers have no boundaries in weight or height although our rooms have their own physical restrictions. I’ve seen many models that exceed 5t., 6ft., and more in overall height.

Height of the loudspeaker has always been a real concern for me. I can’t say exactly why, but it is.

I feel too much of what we know of fitting speakers to a given room size comes only from experience, although this logic appears to be somewhat contentious lately.

Does this “speaker to room ratio” claim, merely serve to further a mythical audio-nervosa proclamation?

Where are the priorities? Distance to side walls, from the front wall, stay so far from the ceiling, maintain at least this much separation between them, ‘golden’ triangulate the speakers to the LP?

Or if they will barely fit thru the door, you’re good!

As the room to speaker so called ‘fit’ is deemed to be quite significant, how do you measure, adjust, determine, your present speakers would fit, or how do you go about projecting any upcoming desired speaker can, will or will not fit in the space you have for it, in advance?

How much is too much, or too little?

Your Experience and wisdom is appreciated.

blindjim

Showing 1 response by james_w514

I’m assuming everyone here understands the basics of speaker placement. You need to get a speaker in room to know how it will interact. Postulating will not provide satisfactory feedback, much like reading about products vs. listening.

IMO problems are not always caused by the sheer size of a speaker. For example my current speakers are 6ft tall and 20 inches deep with 4 x 8 inch woofers for lows and rear ported on the top and bottom (room is 13 x 15 but the rear wall is open concept) Once I moved them more than 2ft out from the front wall there were no issues with bass, the sound is very balanced. Any members in BC or passing through are welcome to stop by for a demo. I’ve had smaller speakers that excite parts of the room that are simply not useable in my space regardless of placement. Room correction is a godsend in those situations. With that said certain designs simply need room, like panels and some OB speakers.

One thing that surprised me when I was working in the industry is how many manufacturers are fine with putting larger speakers in smaller rooms provided they have a bare minimum distance from front and side walls. The conversations with product designers was contradictory to what I was reading on forums. Obviously some common sense needs to be exercised when making a choice.

Having a good relationship with a dealer that allows home auditions or a web company with trial periods is the best route to follow if you want to know just how big of a speaker will work.