How are phono cables different (related to hum issue)?

Wrestling with frustrating humming for weeks on a new TT. Finally inserted the cheap stock phono cable, and the hum is nearly gone. Was using spendy phono cables bought separately prior. So what's the sitch here? Shielding? Cheaper = carrying less signal? I was using the ground wire with both (and tried without, twas worse). Glad the hum is gone, the sound is duller but removing the hum makes it almost worth it. Of course now I need the color back, but not the hum. 
128x128zufan
Lack of shielding is a big thing in boutique interconnects. Not all, of course, but yes, that makes a big difference. This can add some capacitance, but with short runs and high impedance at the preamp this should be minimal.

Try out the DH Labs silver sonic line for a good shielded cable.
Post removed 
Facepalm: turns out the hum was due to my MC cartridge’s. MM has (almost) no hum. Bought a Vincent phono pre to try also, in case it was the Schilt. Nope, there’s something funky with my house wiring, grounding or whatnot the MC picks up, apparently. The cable I have now btw is a Pangea phono cable. I was using Zu’s & returning them. Wish I had figured this out sooner. Even hired an electrician to come out and check my panel & grounding. All was normal. @finleyville