How about using a Denon AVR5800 with Martin Logans

I have aset if Martin Logan Aerius-i front speakers. I was thinking of getting ML Scripts as surrounds and either a Cinema or Theatre as center channel and driving it all with a Denon AVR 5800. Will this work and give descent HT and both 2 Channel and surround sound music. Thank Youall for any feedback.
dansloane

Showing 1 response by snofun3

I'd find it hard to justify the use of a receiver with the ML's. I'm using the Aerius and the Cinema with Maggies for the rear, and once had to (for a short time thankfully) use my old Yamaha DSP A3090 - nasty! If you're going to add the Cinema and Scripts, the load on the receiver will be intense, and the sound quality will be dismal compared to the separates available at the same, or lower price. For less than the Denon I bought a demo Acurus Act3 with bass management and an Anthem MCA-5 - nice combo, and it drives the ML / Maggie combination without complaint.
Also note that receivers aren't worth 1/2 price when you liberate them from the store, and two years from now, if you can get 1/4 what you paid you'll be lucky (the 3090 originally was $3k, I bought it at model end for $1.5k, and couldn't sell it for $450 two years later! - I finally traded it for the Maggies) - good separates are always in demand!
Good luck and happy listening!