How about the Emotiva XDA-2?

Hey guys,

I've been running an NAD C162 as a pre amp, but have decided that I want to get something that is more up to date.

I've been shopping around and have been keeping my eye on an Acurus RL-11 and an Aragon 28K. What can I say, I've gotta have remote.

Anyway, I was just thinking that I really like my Emotiva XDA-1...so maybe a good choice might be the XDA-2. I'm just guessing that it will be sonically similar to the XDA-1, with the addition of an analogue volume control.

Anyone out there using the XDA-2 as a Pre/DAC? If so, how has your experience with it been?

They're on sale right now for $339.
tonyangel

Showing 2 responses by mik971

I own the XDA-1 and agree it is excellent for the cash and is a good DAC. I don't think that even an improved (XDA-2) will outperform your NAD C162 as a pre-amp. The NAD is an excellent unit for the money and has a good phono stage if you ever get into vinyl. For under $400 I don't think you could beat the NAD. I also agree with Levchappy about analog pre-amps..
Tonyangel: I used a Conrad Johnson PV3 with the emotiva dac and it sounded wonderful. I just set the volume to a good level on the CJ pre, and then used the Emotiva remote for "fine-tuning" the volume settings depending on digital source. I think you should go the tube pre route like you mentioned.