Hovland HP-100 vs. CAT SL1 Ultimate: Feedback

The Hovland HP-100 and CAT Ultimate are similarly priced, full-functioned, w. phono MC section pre-amps. How do their respective performances differ?

Any problems?
Any other full-featured, w MC phono pre's to suggest (Limit: $6500 retail)?
I favor tubed pre's. Remote not important. Need tape/record loop.

Looking for direct, controlled comparisons. Long time use with both units (but not necessarily at the same time) may also prove helpful. Feedback please.
kalan

Showing 3 responses by verybigamp

Hovland, CAT, BAT, Krell, AR… and some other units within $5-7K are unfortunately the very faulty as the preamps and as phonostages. They are kind of the hi-end’s mass-market black boxes “for kids”. But it is what you’re looking for, do you?
Kalan,

My comment had nothing to do with advise to spend “money to get decent pre-amplification”. You asked about $6-7K unit and this was why I referred to them. Unfortunately the preamps I mention are not the preamps but just a bunch of the electronic parts in the metal boxes. They just do not do what preamps should do and therefore they are useless.

Figur out what a serous active preamp should do and benefits your system can get form it. If you do then you won’t drink this typical Audiogon's coca-cola.

Good luck,
Romy the Cat
Sorry, Kalan.

My thinking about audio is too radical, too multifarious and too advanced to be able hosted at this site. Any more or less valuable comments I made (and that were greatly appreciated by people to whom I forwarded them) were rejected by the audiogon administration. So, cursing around you have to stick to the Mikelavigne’s coca-cola-like self-afraid intelligence…. this is the purpose of this site.

Rgs,
Romy the Cat