Horn Speakers and Sub Woofers

How difficult is it to mate conventional subwoofers with horn speakers, in particular Klipschorns.  I'm moving my 1987 Khorns to the large living room for a 'home theater' setup.  (I have two good corners for the Khorns).  I am thinking of adding one or two medium sized Rel subs to the setup to use for movies.  Have you tried subs with Horns or corner horns?

stickman451

stickman451,

The above 3 posts and my own are all from Klipsch Forum members!

I myself started a long time ago with a pair of 1998 Oiled Oak Klipschorns and a Velodyne HGS-18II sub. Later I added a second Velodyne HGS-18II sub, and then I added a pair of Klipsch TSCM's. TSCM stands for Theatre Stage Corner Monitor and is a rare, theatre Pro Version of the Klipschorn. Presently, I am running seven TSCM's, two Klipsch KPT-684 subs and the two Velodyne HGS-18II's, so in all, I am running six 18 inch direct radiator drivers.

The post right above mine is excellent for what you need :)

I would also restate that if you have not already bought your subs, that your Klipschorns will sound even better with a horn sub woofer than a direct radiator will. The biggest obstacle you might have is space! Some guys are running smallish Table Tuba Horn Sub Woofers. If budget is not much of a problem, and IF, you have a HUGE room, You might consider something as wild as a Klipsch KPT-1802 which is a 7 foot wide Horn sub for Theatres. KPT stands for Klipsch Pro Theatre, and some guys already have one in their home with Klipsch Jubilees.

I really have to just ask, why you asked hear, and not on the Forum, as you have obviously previously joined?

Best of luck with your project, and if you want a lot more responses, or have other questions, feel free to come back and ask us :)

Roger

They key to mating a sub with Klipschorns well is to use subs that can "keep up" with the Klipschorns -- a feat most home theater subs cannot do well.  By "keeping up" this implies keeping up with the high dyamics, low distortion, and high output capacity of the Khorns.  A couple of ways to do this are noted in posts above -- use a horn sub (which will be huge) or multiple large drivers.  In my Khorn based home theater system, in order to find speakers that would keep up with the Khorns, I used JBL 4638 bass bins which are used in commercial movie theaters.  I had two set up once and they did a very fine job (four 15" woofers).  They are not true subs as they do not go as low as traditional subs, but I did not find that to be an issue.  They wen't plenty low enough for me and had no problems shaking my house.  I'm not sure I want my house shaken more than these are capable of.  The issue with these types of speakers is that they are large and heavy and will require separate amplification (probably better to have separate amps anyway).  I used the JBL bass bins only for movie/HT use and not while listening to 2-channel music.
I have two REL-328's and one REL G-2.  I am going to experiment with these subs with the KHorns in my dedicated room before moving the Horns into the living room.  

All I want is some decent low-end augmentation and LFE for Movies.  My dedicated room is where I do my serious two-channel listening (using Magnepan 20.7's in that room).   

The KHorns will probably do just fine on their own, but they don't go super low and I think I might notice that missing low-end a bit on many action movies.
To the general question (horns with subs) rather than the specific K-horn scenario, you could check out Avantgarde speakers which use that approach. I've heard them many times and have never noticed a problem with low end integration.

FWIW
There's nothing to be concerned about with HT, all you have is processed fake sound effects. 
david