Horn based loudspeakers why the controversy?

As just another way to build a loudspeaker system why such disputes in forums when horns are mentioned?    They can solve many issues that plague standard designs but with all things have there own.  So why such hate?  As a loudspeaker designer I work with and can appreciate all transducer and loudspeaker types and I understand that we all have different needs budgets experiences tastes biases.  But if you dare suggest horns so many have a problem with that suggestion..why?
128x128johnk
Post removed 
Post removed 
@whart 

Have you used your Quads with the ML2?

I'm really enjoying the Klipsch Cornwall III.  Rated at 102db efficiency.  I've added a Fostex horn super tweeter to extend the upper frequencies.  The super tweeter sits on a Symposium Svelt shelf which also addresses some midrange resonant frequencies on the cabinet.  The speakers sit on top of a pair of Rollerblock 2+ double-stacked which brings everything into focus and cleans up the low end.

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/Cornwall-III-Spec-Sheet-v03.pdf

A real sleeper in today's market.
One thing I do not particularly like (not that I hate it, but I find it swaying me not to buy) about most modern horn speakers is that the horns are so often made of some kind of plastic but that there is generally no attempt by the manufacturer whatsoever to damp them on the rear side. If you were to walk up to such a horn (the larger the horn the worse the effect) and flick it firmly with your fingernail then you’d instantly get a very good idea of what the horns are actually doing to the sound. I suspect most people are under the impression that the vowel characteristics that are often associated with horns are somehow coming from the shape of the curve or their dimensions, but I don’t think it’s so. I find it most often due to simply being that the horns typically go undamped in most designs.

The real rub for me here is that the reasoning that this effect can and should be dealt with in other aspects of design (crossover design, EQ, placement, or whatever) Completely misses the point. Properly, the vowel sound should be dialed out of the equation as much as possible from the start. You damp it out physically - no more vowel sound, no more problem, right? We don’t as a rule tolerate vowel sounds in box designs, in fact makers regularly go to great lengths to tout that they’ve removed them with careful attention to the cabinets, don’t they? So why are so many makers of horn speakers so seemingly silent on the subject of audible horn resonances - especially as it relates to horn material?

Just my 2 cents though.
But....I suppose makers of box designs may *claim* that they’ve gotten rid of their cabinet resonances by their sheer prowess in wood construction and so forth....only in fact to rely on a lot of help from their crossover design in the final result. So I guess why can’t a horn speaker manufacturer basically do the same really...I dunno.

I think all that is one reason why I eventually moved out of the speaker market and into DIY - once I went open baffle, I found it all much easier for me to get what I really want...and for far less.