Home theater setup recommendations?

My daughter, married, middle aged, has asked me to help them set up a decent home theater/listening room in their new home. I've been an audiophile since the 70's......before I even heard the term, so I'm a pretty competent 2 channel guy and I understand room acoustics............That said, I never really ventured into HT. I simply went with my 2 channel rig and was perfectly happy with things that way.....still am.

I guess my questions are..........How  important is multi-channel for movies vs audio.............dumb question, I'm sure, but it's not my area, so I'm asking...............and any recommendations for a decent, not UBER, sound system primarily for movies. They're willing to spend some money to get a nice setup, but not the kind of coin that many here likely would. I'm thinking used gear, speakers, subs, receiver or amps. Something that will sound good, but not require a second mortgage..................These folks think that hanging 4 inch Bose speakers in the corners of the room with a micro, wanna-be sub is good sound..............I want to "enlighten" them..........thanks
shadowcat2016
WOW...........I thought I was the only one who doesn't sleep!!..........Guess I was wrong. LOL

Haven't hammered out the budget thing with them yet. As previously mentioned, they have NO idea what good sound or gear is like. They think 4 inch  Bose satellites are high end.........Not knocking Bose, per se, they sell a ton of speakers, but not usually to audio people.

I'm thinking start basic, decent HT receiver with solid full or near full range L-R speakers and matching center.  They can build on that later, more speakers, subs, what have you. Keeps the initial system simpler and allows the up front costs to be more about quality, than how many channels can they cram into one room.

I've watched a lot of movies over the years with my 2 channel rig and never missed not having the other 35 speakers at the time, but I do understand that movie sound tracks are meant to be heard multi-channel for the best effect.
Okay, so an AV Receiver is going to be your target. One thing to know with these is that it is best if you buy the biggest and most powerful one you can. Ignore the fact that it’s a “11 channel receiver”. I recommend buying the biggest because you will get the largest transformer and power supply section (which are important, as you probably know). That being said, even the biggest receiver will not have as good of a power supply as a nice 2-channel amplifier (such as Parasound A21 or similar).

Anthem makes some good receivers. You can get a used MRX710 on ebay for $1100-1500 range. Many love them. Anthem is probably the cleanest and fastest sounding AV receiver. However, I think the Anthem is a bit hard edged in the highs, but it will definitely be an exciting sound for movies. I would definitely suggest using gold-plated terminations on any speaker wire and even putting in a Isoclean gold-plated fuse or a Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme “Cu” copper fuse to take the edge off the highs.

Yamaha makes nice natural sounding receivers. You can get a used Yamaha RX-A3070 for $1300. New for $1500. It’s just one generation old. I have had extremely good results when adding a Furutech fuse into the Yamaha receivers. I usually recommend getting into the Yamaha advanced menu to set the speaker type to “6 ohm”. This changes the circuit in the Yamaha and performs better. With a speaker that has impedance drops down to 3-4, the receiver will sound weak in the bass/midbass/midrange area when set at the default “8 ohm” setting.

Marantz has good stuff, but it is definitely warm sounding with soft/rolled-off highs. Marantz has good body and impact. However, if your audience are not audiophiles that understand what they are hearing, they may think the Marantz sounds dull. One of the good things about Marantz is they have a fully discrete analog output stage in the preamp section. You can find the Marantz SR7011 and SR7012 receivers on ebay for $1300-$1600 new. They may work out if you put a fast Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme silver fuse in and/or use silver-plated bananas/spades on your speaker wire.

Speakers are an entirely different thing and if you ask “what’s the best speaker” you will get 18 different answers on this forum. There are many different options and it becomes a very “personal preference” thing here. That being said, here are some thoughts:

For bargain basement, Elac Debut speakers seem to be one of the best. You’re looking at $500-800 for a pair of full range tower speakers.

Klipsch Reference speakers are nice as well. In the $700-$1600 range. They do have a horn loaded tweeter, which has its own unique sound. However, the Klipsch have the added benefit of being an extremely efficient speaker (like 96db) so you won’t need to use as much power from the receiver (which means you’re not starving the receiver power supply).

If you want a higher resolution speaker, I suggest looking into the Monitor Audio Silver series. New models are getting into the expensive area. It’s $1,500 for a pair of Silver 200, and $2,000 for a pair of Silver 300. You can get a previous generation Silver 6 for $1200 a pair from Crutchfield. Parts Connexion has a pair of Silver 6 in White Gloss new-in-box for $899 a pair.

Is it smart to go from 0 to 100 in one step?

I’d keep it as simple as possible and lean strongly towards lifestyle factors. [Given your repeated mention of Bose satellites as being a reference for them]

Nothing at all wrong going with a well reviewed higher end soundbar (that is amplified and accepts ARC and has sub outs). If you want to be picky, then ignore the included sub and add a smallish (10 - 12 inch) audiophile approved sub.

Seriously, keep it simple. They will appreciate it and can move to the next step later, should this one take off. All the best.