Home theater setup recommendations?

My daughter, married, middle aged, has asked me to help them set up a decent home theater/listening room in their new home. I've been an audiophile since the 70's......before I even heard the term, so I'm a pretty competent 2 channel guy and I understand room acoustics............That said, I never really ventured into HT. I simply went with my 2 channel rig and was perfectly happy with things that way.....still am.

I guess my questions are..........How  important is multi-channel for movies vs audio.............dumb question, I'm sure, but it's not my area, so I'm asking...............and any recommendations for a decent, not UBER, sound system primarily for movies. They're willing to spend some money to get a nice setup, but not the kind of coin that many here likely would. I'm thinking used gear, speakers, subs, receiver or amps. Something that will sound good, but not require a second mortgage..................These folks think that hanging 4 inch Bose speakers in the corners of the room with a micro, wanna-be sub is good sound..............I want to "enlighten" them..........thanks
shadowcat2016
Mx132  A/V  control center.   Mcintosh
MC 58 eight cahnnel power amp.   Mcintosh

This is good old gear.   Looks cool to
I use B&W wall mount.   For a 5 &1 system.  
Add a blue ray or some other source
I am very happy with this system
Surround system  adds great movie watching experience .
This old gear is quality and sounds decent

Above  is a completely different system than my better equipped 2 channel rig
Krell based in the other side of the same room

My only complaint is the acoustics in this room are all wrong for best sound

R

Did I mention how what a  HUGE WIRE LOOM it is with this system,
the way I got around this was to stick all  components in a remote near by closet,
so only the tv and speakers are visible

R
First if you really want to enlighten them take them to hear some live unamplified music...Then demo a Bose system,followed by a decent surround system and finally a really good 2 channel system...
If you just want to grab them something decent without any fuss a Subwoofer/satellite 5.1(4 satellite speakers,center speaker and powered subwoofer)speaker system from Paradigm Acoustics,Definitive Technology or Atlantic Technology, a good surround receiver from Marantz or Yamaha & a DVD player from Oppo or Yamaha wired up with basic Audioquest wiring will probably blow them away...Spend some time setting everything up along with some light acoustic treatments if you get any echo in the room(walk around clapping hands and you’ll hear it)..A Set Up/Video Calibration DVD is cheap and will allow you to get the best out of the system...

I have ventured into these murky waters and...

For decent HT sound, a 5.1 channel/speaker system is minimum. You can climb to 11.2.4 or more.

Good amps like the 9.2 capable Yamaha 3070 or similar are a great and economical way to go. (I have only moved on from a 3030 to a full Anthem ARC60, M525 x 2,+ M325 for 13 discrete channels). Speakers like the B&W 703 are great for dual purpose stereo and HT. I have only used Miller&Kreisel (M&K original Satellite/Volkswoofer, full set of 950 series and now full set of 300 series) speakers for HT so do not have experience in others, aside from reading about the wider range in A/V mags.

You can make a big impression with an economical 5.1 system.