Home Theater 101 - Subwoofer question?

I will bet this is as basic as it gets in my first H/T 101 Subwoofer class, so anyone with a decent HT system should be able to advise me.

I have a very basic and simple 2 channel system for TV and movies (music playback is performed on another system). I don't want to change anything but add a cheap, decent subwoofer to what I already have.

[SYSTEM: Pioneer Elite A35 amp (45wpc), Denon 1930 DVD, JBL HLS610 monitors, Kimber cabling]

There is a slight problem, my integrated amp does not have a preamp or sub output. I have read that it is not such a bad thing to use speaker wire from amp to sub to monitors, and better subwoofer integration is possible. I don't know if this is true but I nave no other option than this hook-up. I'm keeping this amp and would rather not add a sub if adding a sub is ill-advised.

Now that the stage is set, what cheap good quality power subwoofer will you recommend?
128x128mjcmt

Showing 1 response by firedrums

I would check out REL Subs - First they are excellent and second, they have a Neutrik connection which hooks up directly to your speaker outlets on your amp - they also have a LFE if you did have a sub out on a different receiver - both connections can be used simultaneously and have their own volume controls - makes it easy to integrate 2 channel with surround if you ever went that route - But the speakes conection is what you can use - also makes it easier to integrate with your main speakers because the sub gets the same info as the speakers - Very Cool