Home Theater 101 - Subwoofer question?

I will bet this is as basic as it gets in my first H/T 101 Subwoofer class, so anyone with a decent HT system should be able to advise me.

I have a very basic and simple 2 channel system for TV and movies (music playback is performed on another system). I don't want to change anything but add a cheap, decent subwoofer to what I already have.

[SYSTEM: Pioneer Elite A35 amp (45wpc), Denon 1930 DVD, JBL HLS610 monitors, Kimber cabling]

There is a slight problem, my integrated amp does not have a preamp or sub output. I have read that it is not such a bad thing to use speaker wire from amp to sub to monitors, and better subwoofer integration is possible. I don't know if this is true but I nave no other option than this hook-up. I'm keeping this amp and would rather not add a sub if adding a sub is ill-advised.

Now that the stage is set, what cheap good quality power subwoofer will you recommend?
128x128mjcmt

Showing 1 response by blindjim

Do ensure speaker line imputs are on what ever sub you select, AND the more control of contour on the sub will be of immense help too, phase, slope, level, cut off, and the better/finer the adjustments the better... if at all possible. Not all subs wil have every mentioned option.

HSU. SVS. Def tech SC2 or SC1. Velodyne SPL series

good luck