Home-Made Bass Traps, Sound Diffusers???

Hello, I am searching for cheap ways to make my own sound diffusers and tube traps similar to RPG's products and ASC's products (such as the Tube Traps/Planar Traps/BASS Traps/Skyline Diffusors)??? Please help. Thanks
meyersjohn

Showing 2 responses by hf1982

Hello, I agree that you definitely need to take a look at the "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by Everett. I managed to build several: - round Bass traps (down to 40Hz) for about $30 each - Rectangular bass traps (box like) for any frequency I want also very cheap - Mid/Hi frequency panels for about $30 each and they all SOUND (I'd say remove the right resonances) fantastic. You can virtually design any sound type you like to adapt to your room. Hints: Bass Traps: MDF box with holes in the face pannel (formulas available in the above book), average of 3/16 hole on 1 inch thick pannel every 5 inches (in squares). Depending on internal volume (e.g. 2 cu ft) this will suck any bass you have at the tuned frequency (about 35Hz in this case). These devices are easy to hide (not like the tube traps). Don't forget to account for the WAF (wife acceptance factor). If you tell me which frequencies you want to smooth maybe I can be of further help. Anyway, to do this project there are 2 tools that you need to buy (if you don't have them): Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level meter + Stereophile CD (can be the #2) which has tracks of key frequencies that you can play to measure the room response (with the Radio Shack SPL meter). If you don't have both tools then you will just be guessing and I wouldn't spend a $. Good luck, Regards
Hello, I agree that you definitely need to take a look at the "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by Everett. I managed to build several: - round Bass traps (down to 40Hz) for about $30 each - Rectangular bass traps (box like) for any frequency I want also very cheap - Mid/Hi frequency panels for about $30 each and they all SOUND (I'd say remove the right resonances) fantastic. You can virtually design any sound type you like to adapt to your room. Hints: Bass Traps: MDF box with holes in the face pannel (formulas available in the above book), average of 3/16 hole on 1 inch thick pannel every 5 inches (in squares). Depending on internal volume (e.g. 2 cu ft) this will suck any bass you have at the tuned frequency (about 35Hz in this case). These devices are easy to hide (not like the tube traps). Don't forget to account for the WAF (wife acceptance factor). If you tell me which frequencies you want to smooth maybe I can be of further help. Anyway, to do this project there are 2 tools that you need to buy (if you don't have them): Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level meter + Stereophile CD (can be the #2) which has tracks of key frequencies that you can play to measure the room response (with the Radio Shack SPL meter). If you don't have both tools then you will just be guessing and I wouldn't spend a $. Good luck, Regards