HK 730 Twin

I have a Harman Kardon 730 twin integrated amp. I am using the amp section on this integrated for power only. My preamp is a tube unit. The sound is astonishingly good. Any problems with this setup I should be aware of? Any one else have such nice results with this type of setup?
fromunda

Showing 2 responses by pryso

The HK X30 receiver series seem to have become classics. I have a HK 430 and it is wonderfully musical within it's more limited power range. Word was when they were current products that Robert Fulton consulted on their design.

One word of caution on the Citation 12 amp for anyone considering that. It was very good into an 8 ohm load but not happy with 4 ohms. I used one with a single pair of Advent speakers in the '70s and all was well until I decided to try a Double Advent system -- the amp failed soon afterwards.
The specs in the manual for my HK 430 state: 25 watts minimum, RMS per channel, both channels driven into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20K Hz, with less than 0.3% THD.

This is a more straightforward set of specs than many brands provided at that time. Note that rating covers both channels driven through the full frequency band and with minimal measured distortion. While I'm not one to accept specs as the total indicator of sonic pleasures, to me at least HK's suggest good engineering.