history of Vector Research 7000

I have an old Vector research 7000 that I use as a tuner. I have it hooked up to a Musical Fidelity A5, an Opinion cd, and Sonus faber home edition speakers. I found it in the garbage and it pulls in stations better than my Denon DRA 335R. Has anyone ever heard of VR, as it is not listed on many websites and I am wondering if I would get better sound with a used Accuphase or McIntosh or something? I live just above NYC. By the way, I don't know much about this hobby now, but I knew even less when an old neighbor passed away and his daughter gave me his Kenwood KT(forgot the model). I thought it was waaaay too big so I tossed it after a few months. Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone. Alan
128x128pharmacylaw

Showing 2 responses by rar1

I live in a NYC coop/ apartment house with metal door and window frames, so I can only use indoor antennas. I get good, but not great results with rabbit ears antennas. If I could use the fire escape or attach an antenna to the side of the house, I think that this antenna from Magnum Dynalab looks promising.

Regards,

Rich
Hi Alan:

Your Vector Research is probably 20+ years old ... which is a good thing, given that the tuner sections of the older receivers were pretty decent. A rule of thumb with tuners ... upgrade the antenna before you upgrade the tuner, the difference will surprise you.

Regards,

Rich